Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 am 

My name is David Wright. I have lived in Winnemucca, Nevada for a bit more than a year; but for the past three decades and a half have lived in the eastern Sierra Nevada of California in the Bishop and Mammoth Lakes area.

I am a published author of historical topics of eastern California and Death Valley and often do research in old newspapers and government archives.

I have been a ghost town buff since youth growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. Born and raised in the southern Mojave Desert, I grew up on bikes and dune buggies and my grandmother’s ’49 Chevy.

I have a large website, RECONNOITERING IN THE SAGEBRUSH OF EASTERN CALIFORNIA & THE GREAT BASIN BY 4-WHEEL-DRIVE. It has plenty of trips, trails, photos and history. No ads, pop-ups or politics.

My current 4x4 is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD XtraCab pickup. It is mechanically stock, non-lifted and has seen plenty of regular off road usage in the years since I bought it new in June, 2002 at a Bishop, California Toyota dealer.

I’ve traveled much of the Silver State off road over the decades and have enjoyed every bit of it. I’ve traveled and have camped out at all times of the year and weather.

I generally travel alone or with one or two others, all of us driving and camping out in our separate vehicles; chatting along the way on the CB or FRS frequencies. Since moving to Winnemucca, I’ve been enjoying my new “backyard.” I have some short trip reports with photos posted over at 4wdtrips.net until I have time to get permanent pages up on my own site.

I’ve been a lurker here for a while now, following a link from board member GaryB from ghosttowns.com website. I’ve been a member there since the late 1990s and have contributed hundreds of photos early in the site’s lifetime. Thought I’d come in as a member and chat a spell with you all. I’m also a regular contributor to the 4wdtrips.net, Panamint Charlie and Death-Valley.net websites; as well as the Death Valley Journal blog by Steve Greene, another Death Valley author.

I look forward to time spent here, talking more focused on my favorite part of the country, Nevada.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to our Message Board.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am 

Welcome.

We love ghost towns& the desert.

Maybe you will bring your toyota out with us on the trail sometime.

Mike & Elisabeth

http://www.MikeFlys.com/
http://www.DynoTraining.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:33 am 

fantastic website David!

loving the Jarbidge pics! always wanted to get up that way.

welcome

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:31 pm 

Welcome David! I have wanted to meet you for a long time (I'm Goat on GT.com). I sure hope you can make it down for a run or 2!

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 pm 

Glad to have you on our BB. Hope to see you on the trails.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 am 

Thank you everyone!

Over the past decade that I've had an Internet presence, I've met a number of individuals from the boards. I had one pop into the Kragen Auto just last week, where I work here in Winnemucca, to say hello. Never met the guy before, but only knew of him by his handle on the board. He was passing through and stopped for dinner, then stopped to meet me at the store because he remembered I had mentioned I had gone to work there recently.

When I worked at the large borax plant in Trona, California (for 17 years), I had a month vacation plus only worked six months per year (I worked four days on, four days off), so I had plenty of time to "reconnoiter." I left that job in 2004 due to my wife's advancing disability and my distance from home (2.5 hours and over 130 miles). Now I have started over, so now my reconnoitering is largely day trips or overnighters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 am 

JJ wrote:
... loving the Jarbidge pics! always wanted to get up that way.

I do have that large page on Jarbidge. I don't know if you've seen it, but I also have a trip account from July 2007 where I took my wife and elderly parents to Jarbidge.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/fires07.html

Had to evacuate due to the huge Murphy Complex fire that threatened town. I was sick of fires ... I had nearly been burned out of my own home (at the time, Big Pine, California) the previous week, Winnemucca was heavily threatened and damaged during the same time from huge fires here; and then Jarbidge. As is my usual practice, this page is also heavily filled with photos.