Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:35 am 

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. We are new to the off road world and thought the best way to get started was with people who already know the ropes :wink:

Anyone have any pointers on what to pick up as must have items for my jeep. Its a 97 wrangler with a 3" lift and new rubicon wheels and tires. I just bought it yesterday. picked it up on the cheap. What kind of accessories for the jeep would be considered a necessity. Either things directly for the jeep and other items you would never go off road with out. Thanks, John C.
ps We hope to be able to make some of the runs I looked through the pics of the runs, looks like good times!!

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to our Message Board. Please check out "Club Info" for some of the things the we require. You will also find out what we are all about. Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:21 pm 

Rubicon Bob wrote:
Welcome to our Message Board. Please check out "Club Info" for some of the things the we require. You will also find out what we are all about. Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Thanks for pointing out your mandatory items. I will make sure my jeep is properly equipped with those items. :wink:

Now what are the should have items to make life better and easier on the trail. :?:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 pm 

John&vicky wrote:
Rubicon Bob wrote:

Thanks for pointing out your mandatory items. I will make sure my jeep is properly equipped with those items. :wink:

Now what are the should have items to make life better and easier on the trail. :?:

Welcome to the board!!!

Not really required, but a way to air down your tires and air them back up at the end of the trail and a way to disconnect the front sway bar if you don't already have disconnects. Those would make your ride and enjoyment of the trail much nicer. Even on the easiest trails, I air my tires down and disconnect the front sway bar. It makes the ride so much nicer and the traction and articulation is way better. You never know when an obstacle comes up, you'd be ready to attempt it if you are so inclined to do so.

Hope to see you on the trail!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:23 am 

Just wanted to welcome u to the club it is a great bunch of people. All ways carry a folding chair and ice chest. Oh if you like our pixs make sure you got a cam so we can see your pixsit so much fun when you got something of intrest on the trail wetherit be pixs or geoingor metal detecting or just trailing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:16 pm 

Welcome.
Besides the basics (first aid kit, fire extinguisher, jack full size spare, and tow points, cb,...) The list of things to bring and mods for your jeep can be very long and subject to personal preference. One of my must haves is a good GPS. I like to be able to pull the track from where we went and lay it over a topo map, or google earth. Also loading a track from someone else for a trail you haven't been on is real handy for exploring.
Speaking of exploring watch the camping and exploring post, as well as the fun runs and go out on the trails with some of the group and have fun... they are a great group and you will pick up ideas as you go.

Hope to see you on the trail

Mike

http://www.MikeFlys.com/
http://www.DynoTraining.com

Last edited by buells2t on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

just to let you know, we don't expect you to have all the required gear to go on your first club run. being a teaching club we figure that you'll pick it up in a short period of time. a cb radio while not required is a great thing to have as we chatter away on a run and with out one you'll miss all the fun. :D like joe mentioned if you don't have front swaybar disconnects they shoud be on your list, they make a heck of a difference in ride and the offroad ability of your rig. basically come on some runs and ask questions, we love talking about our vehicles, and decide on your mods and gear from there. you'd be surprised where a stock vehicle can get you. seat time actually spent off road will help you greatly. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:16 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guy's :D

So far the jeep has a cb and gps, and full size spare. I am going to order the hooks and I am looking in to the sway bar disconnects also. I am also still trying to figure out what direction I want to go with the air, either a compressor or a bottle??? The jeep already has a 3' lift( according to the old owner) and 16" rubicon wheels with Goodyear MTR Durawall Puncture Resistant tires. Not sure if they are the greatest but they will work for now as they only have 1000 miles on them ,I guess I will keep them for a while. I need to figure out the gears. He had what he thought was 2 sets of 410's but after he installed them he thinks the fronts are 45?? somethings in the front. So I need to figure out what to do with that. I am not sure what either of them needs to be so more questions. It has a stock 4 cyl, what would you recommend?
Anyway thanks again for the welcome :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

4 banger jeeps come from the factory with 4.10 gears. great for turning up to 30" tires but above that they leave the jeep underpowered. rubicons came with approx. 32" goodyear mudders. 4.46 gears would correct for that. you said he had 4.50 somethings in the front. if he didn't change gears in both axles you will destroy the transfer case when you put it in 4 wheel drive. quick way to tell the gear ratios in the axle is put the axles on jack stands, front or rear, and make a mark on the tire and then the drive shaft. turn the tire one complete turn and count how many times the drive shaft turns. just past 4 turns would be 4.10's, 4 and a half turns on the driveshaft and the gears are 4.56's, 4 and 3 quarter turns would be 4.88 gears. now repeat on the other axle. hopefully they will be the same. good luck and let us know what you find out. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 am 

Well what he told me was they came from the factory with 3.55 so he got a set of 4.10 for the front and rear from one of his jeep buddies only he thinks now that he installed them that the fronts were 4.56 and the backs were 4.10. He said he put it in to four wheel drive once in the dirt and could tell that they were different gear sets and only drove a few feet and took it out of four hi. So if they already came with 4.10 gears I would say the guy doesn't know what he had or what he needs. I am not saying I have a clue but at least I will ask what I don't know or cant find out. SO I will go out and jack it up and count the turns ratios on the front and back and see what I have. So if the fronts are 4.56 I can change the back to match and this will be ok with the 32's? Or will I need to use with the 4.46 gears front and back. I would think 4.56 would turn them ok but affect the freeway speed and gas mileage? Also after the gear change what do I need to do to re calibrate the speedo? right now it is about 8 mph faster than the jeep is going??? Thanks for all the information, John C.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Admin

4.46 was a typo. my old fingers get a little messed up sometimes. 4.56 front & rear will correct the issue. now i'm not an expert in these things but i've never heard of a 4 banger coming off the assembly line with 3.55 gears. if the rear drive shaft only turns 3 and a half times to one complete turn of the tire then indeed it would be 3.55's. but 3.55's were the gears in most 6 cylinder engines. if you only need to have the rear changed your in luck, half the cost. :) the speedo correction is just a matter of changeing a small plastic gear in the t-case. this gear can be ordered from jeep and costs around $20 or so. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

here's a link to a website that gives you the chart for speedo correction for jeep wranglers.

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech_spe ... r_gear.htm

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 am 

brad/duuuude wrote:
quick way to tell the gear ratios in the axle is put the axles on jack stands, front or rear, and make a mark on the tire and then the drive shaft. turn the tire one complete turn and count how many times the drive shaft turns. just past 4 turns would be 4.10's, 4 and a half turns on the driveshaft and the gears are 4.56's, 4 and 3 quarter turns would be 4.88 gears. now repeat on the other axle. hopefully they will be the same. good luck and let us know what you find out. 8)

It has been a long time since I played this game but I think if you don't have lockers you should only lift 1 wheel per diff and have the truck in neutral (make sure other wheels are chalked so it wont roll off jack/stand). If both wheels are off the ground when you turn one and if the other wheel spins the drive shaft wont turn, so if it spins a bit the drive shaft wont turn as far and the count will be wrong.

Someone jump in here if I'm incorrect on this....

Mike,
Just another non-expert giving my $0.02
:)

http://www.MikeFlys.com/
http://www.DynoTraining.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 am 

I read somewhere if only one tire spins you have to turn make two full revolutions ?? Sound correct? I will figure it out hopefully :shock: :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Admin

here's the fail-safe way to determine the gear ratio. open and drain the diff, count the number of teeth on the ring gear, then count the number of teeth on the pinion gear. divide the ring by the pinion and you'll get the gear ratio. for example in a rear dana 35 axle 4.11 gears should have 37 teeth on the ring and 9 teeth on the pinion, 37 devided by 9 = 4.11111111111. on a front dana 30 axle with 4.11 gears the ring should have 41 teeth and the pinion should have 10 teeth, 41 divided by 10= 4.1. just count teeth and divide the ring by the pinion and you'll get the gear ratio whatever it may be.

NVBROFC