Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howdy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 pm 

Howdy,

I have been in Vegas since 1956. Been in BSA troop 120. I went to Twin Lake Elementary and caught crawdads at Twin Lakes when I was a kid. Graduated from Valley 1970. I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee(limited) with 60,109 miles. We keep the jeep loaded 24/7 for tent camping trips. Last weekend we went to Temple Bar(a favorite) and their were only two other campers there. All of my 4x4 trips have been done solo until I saw you mentioned while searching info on Gregg's Basin where we might camp in mid-January 09, or Bonelli Landing. Alamo to Corn Creek and back, did that solo in 1980. Did Wheeler Pass when there were kilns to see. Done the entire Mohave Trail and loved Ft. Piute but they frown on camping there since the fire. Mid-Hills is another favorite. Don't know if we will go on any organized runs with you yet, we would just rather tent camp. I had to hike out of Mormon Well Picnic site once back in the late 1970s, three days! From then on I'm prepared and go loaded "for bear" when ever we go out! Also own a tandem kayak(think we have never seen another here) and that goes too, where ever we go. I'm a retired industrial photographer so that stuff goes too(hardly room for the wife)! Fun runs sound fun, maybe. Official runs sound ok too, but just might be too crowded for our tastes. Just thought I'd share.
Sincere Regards,
The Fox
Got Tent Will Camp, Jeep, Kayak with Wife!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)
I'm dysfunctional but my camera works!

Last edited by vegasdesertfox on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Howdy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 pm 

Welcome to the board, Vegasdesertfox!! I'd say you've probably seen your share of change here in the Vegas Valley!! I bet you have some pretty cool stories that would be awesome to hear while sitting by a campfire out in the desert far from any civilization. Myself and a few others (a pretty small group) enjoy getting out some weekends, do a little wheelin' and sightseeing, and then find a place to camp for the night before doing some more wheelin' the next day. I know what you mean about the crowds. I'm not much into crowds either, but I haven't been able to go on any of the Club Runs as of late, and I sure miss the folks I haven't seen in some time.

I'd guess that you mostly like to get out and find a place to plant the tent and enjoy the day/night as well as run some trails. I'm sure you could find a place in this club. It is so diverse with people who like to do things from tent camping, to major rock crawling, and everything in between. You just got to try us on and give us a chance. I'm sure you'll find some folks who love to do the things that you do. That's if you'l like the company. :wink: You'll fit in just fine!!

I have two single kayaks myself. I don't always take them along, but one trip I did, and we never got near any water to put them in. :P I'd like to get down to Willow Beach and paddle up toward the dam sometime. Have you ever done that? I ususally take them along when I know I'm heading to the lake for a day or camping weekend. They are a lot of fun. We didn't have the opportunity to do it this year, but there are a few of us who Scuba Dive, too. We want to do a camping/dive trip. Maybe next summer!!

Hope to meet you sometime!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 am 

Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

Thanks for the feedback! It never occurred to me to paddle up-river from Willow Beach, do you know how fast the current is? I think the biggest problem would be stayin' clear of all the sight-seers comin' down river. And a hard paddle against ringbolt rapids! Last week when we finished camping at Temple Bar(our winter favorite and Bonelli Bay) we drove over from Temple to Willow, which ain't that far, and parked to finish a game of gin we had started earlier and to try to avoid the crowds at the dam. Oops, still when we left at late dusk there was still a back-up at the dam. Took almost an hour to get across. The problem with the dam traffic(pun it if you want) is the 7 crosswalks, gotta stop for those peds. The best time to go over the dam is very early or very late. However, a paddle up-stream from Willow might be fun? And it would be great if someone would suggest a crawlin' and camping trip from Corn Creek to Alamo, it's been decades ago that I done that, but would do it again if good plans could be drawn up and have to get more jerry's for gas.

How much advanced notice does everyone give each other for organized monthly runs? I can't do nothing on short notice, my bride works as a care giver for the VA and we carefully plan our forays out. Been looking at what's up for January 09 and can't find nothing?

Has anyone drove the backroad from Temple Bar (old ranger station) to Gregg's Hideout? And has anyone driven by way of Sqaw Peak to Gregg's? Bride & I are planning on camping for our wedding anniversary at Gregg's Hideout in mid-January, I'm just asking for knowledge, I'm not looking to drag tenderfoots through sagebrush and mesquite? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

Last edited by vegasdesertfox on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:48 am 

usually, you have a good month or so notice on the Club Runs.

I hardly ever get to do them due to my schedule, so I run mid-week with a few other people.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:57 am 

Howdy JJ,
Thanks a heap! Guess I'll just start toolin' here more and lookin' to see what's up! And asking questions in other sections of these forums. Once again thanks for lookin' and sharin'.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Admin

welcome to the board. you'll find that the mid-week fun runs are much smaller in numbers of participants, usually less then 12 total. as to your question about corn creek to alamo and where to camp, the old alamo road is closed at the dry lake and you can't legally travel all the way to alamo these days. you can park at hidden forest and hike up to the old cabin and stay the night or i've seen signs of campers at the end of dead horse canyon but due to the current situation you'd ave to return to corn creek. due to the number of stupid people that get stuck on the dry lake and need recueing and the high cost of saving their butts and the fact that some almost died there u.s. fish & wildlife has stopped travel. the backroaders have adopted mormen well trail and hope one day to maybe help u.s.f.w. to re-open alamo road. for now we just have to live with the situation. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:11 pm 

Howdy Brad,

That's good info. I wasn't asking where to camp though, never need help there but didn't know they closed the road all the way up...you cross three dry lakes, that's air out and air in if you know what you're doing, duh! That's too bad the road is closed, oh well! Mormon Well is good too and offers good tidings to those that can take beautiful deserts! Love it when ever I do it. Lots of sheep too! You said shorter runs, should I watch "Fun Runs" and am I'm right to believe that you'll charge for new membership and yearly renewals just like the DMV? Where does the pot to pay in go to(pun that if you want to, I ain't touching that with your jeep)! And I might pay up on first run, might not, don't you offer a test ride so to say? I don't use a cb, too many yahoos there and the only thing I'll listen to other than my bride is Bob Dylan. Jeepin' Joe thought I might fit, at least I'll try a run in the new year. We will be camping over that celebration back to Temple Bar & Christmas too.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm 

always keep an eye on fun runs, or exploring and camping.

Exploring posts are just just that. Sometimes those of us with time off will go out and see what there is to see.
Out here, you might have been one place a thousand times, but never have explored other roads. Always something to see.

Fun Runs are like Club Runs, only no charges for visitors and all that other stuff. Trail Boss asks for a write-up for the club's monthly newsletter -- what you saw, who participated, anything that happened out on the trail that we can all learn from, etc.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:56 pm 

Howdy JJ,

Once again thanks a heap, did I say I like your jeep? I'll keep a weather eye out, savy?

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

if you read the topics in the club info forum you'll get a better idea of how we do things, how we rate trails, and the difference between official club runs and fun runs or exploration runs. we are a real club, not just an internet group, with close to 100 paid members throughout the west, not just in nevada. you do not have to join the club as an official member to participate in any of our events ever but on an official club run we do ask for a $5 donation. it's $30 to join and $10 a year there after so if you only go on 1 or 2 official club runs a year it's cheaper to pay the $5 visitors donation. we just like to wheel and share our knowledge of the trails and the outdoors with anyone and everyone. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm 

Howdy Brad,

Thanks a heap...that nails it down real good! If available, I'll be happy to chip five bucks, glad to read that you do hit dirt and knot just talk about it! I'm in bride won't be happy unless I'm happy and viska verska! Next mid-week, thinking of going to Quail Spring behind Gass Peak, via Corn Creek. I'll be solo, grade is maybe a 2 in a couple of places. If I'm getting ahead of myself, please tell me to keep it to myself and I will but will still go. Just thought I'd share!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:17 am 

vegasdesertfox wrote:
Next mid-week, thinking of going to Quail Spring behind Gass Peak, via Corn Creek. I'll be solo, grade is maybe a 2 in a couple of places.

If you'd like some folks to tag along with you, go to the fun run topic and post the info there. Pick a meeting place and time and see who shows up. Just so you know, there are some who will check out the post and not say that they are going, but show up. That just means that there will be those who post that they are going and those who will just show up. :wink: You never know until your departure time has arrived and you are ready to roll.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:32 am 

vegasdesertfox wrote:
Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

Thanks for the feedback! It never occurred to me to paddle up-river from Willow Beach, do you know how fast the current is? I think the biggest problem would be stayin' clear of all the sight-seers comin' down river. And a hard paddle against ringbolt rapids! ... However, a paddle up-stream from Willow might be fun?

A friend of mine has done it up river which is approximately 12 miles from Willow Beach to the dam. He said he started early in the morning before the sun came up and that he saw a lot of wildlife coming to get a drink of the 50-52 degree year around water. I suppose if you stay along the shoreline, the current wouldn't be too bad. When you get tired of paddling, you can drift back to Willow Beach...LOL There are two days (Sun and Mon) that no motorized boats are allowed up that part of the river. The following was taken from the NPS website for Black Canyon boating restrictions.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Black Canyon Restrictions

Motorized Vessel Use - Willow Beach to Hoover Dam

To allow for a wide variety of recreational opportunities the following rules are in effect:

Year-round (Sunday and Monday)
The canyon from Willow Beach to Hoover Dam (Black Canyon) will be managed as a primitive zone where people can experience a variety of motor-less recreational opportunities in a natural setting. PWCs and vessels with motors are prohibited on Sunday and Monday year round.

Between Labor Day and Friday of Memorial Day weekend (Tuesday - Saturday)The canyon from Willow Beach to Hoover Dam (Black Canyon) will be managed as a semi-primitive zone. PWCs remain prohibited. Boating is restricted to vessels with 65-horsepower engines or less.

Between the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day (Tuesday - Saturday)The canyon from Willow Beach to Hoover Dam (Black Canyon) will be managed as a rural-natural zone. During the busy boating season there are no horsepower restrictions and PWCs are allowed

So, if you go on a Sunday or Monday any time of the year, there are no motorized boats to contend with. You'd virtually have the river to yourself for the most part. :wink: It sounds like a really fun trip to do with a small group of adventurers. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:46 am 

Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

Thanks again for all the info. on the river. It does sound like a hoot! Maybe sometime in Feb. 09 I'll suggest a post to the affect of a paddle upstream for a Sunday.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)