Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:33 pm 

The Jeep looks good! You'll probably have a pretty good time this weekend. I unfortunately won't be able to make it. I have been on some runs before and I always bring my 17 mth son with me. He LOVES it. We usually stop often enough that I can take him out of the car seat and let him roam around a little, give him some food and even change his diaper.

The two way radios don't work the best since everyone runs a cb on channel 4. Eventually if you don't want to run a cb all the time in your jeep you could get a cb and wire on a cig plug end on it and use a magnetic antenna. That is the setup I am currently running. It is kind of nice since I have two jeeps and if need be i can take it from one to the other.

Have fun this weekend. I am heading over to CA to visit some family. Couldn't they of picked a better weekend?

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 pm 

Justin wrote:
It's a very social group, lots of stops. You can probably have him worn out by the end of the day.

That's the plan! LOL

Duntov wrote:
The two way radios don't work the best since everyone runs a cb on channel 4. Eventually if you don't want to run a cb all the time in your jeep you could get a cb and wire on a cig plug end on it and use a magnetic antenna. That is the setup I am currently running. It is kind of nice since I have two jeeps and if need be i can take it from one to the other.

That's a good idea. I wonder if I could pick one up at SuperPawn?

I picked up the Magellan Triton 400 handheld GPS today. Been wanting one for camping and mountain biking anyway, so this trip was a good excuse.

Now to find maps of the NV desert...

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys
35 x 13.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers
LOD mid-width front bumper
Shrockworks rear bumper/carrier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:50 pm 

CB's are easy to come by, and new is about as cheap as used. Radio Shack had them for about $40. Uniden or the equivalent. Or try one of the Truck Stops, they usually have the cheapie model for around that price. You don't need to broadcast to the world (I have a friend that wants to mod his to be able to blanket the Vegas Valley whenever he gets on the mic) I have never been further than maybe 1/4 mile from the group leader on any run. The basic magnetic antenna works well (put a piece of soft cloth under it so it doesn't scratch you new paint) and a simple cigarette plug wire job will have it working right away so you can decide where to mount, how to do the antenna, etc.

And if Brad ever leads a run, you REALLY want to be able to hear him tell about the history of the area. :shock:

Good hunting, and don't worry too much about what you "need" to have versus what you want. Everyone in this group has always been willing to help, advise, or pass on used parts when needed.

My Thanks to all of you as well for that,

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 pm 

OH you Guys with your new Jeeps and your new style radios. I'm using an Old Campbell's soup can that I wrote Unican on, an old extension cord hooked to a metal coat hanger and it works great. This whole radio setup won't set you back much at all. :roll: :lol:

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:59 pm 

Radio Shack walkie-talkie CB worked fine today. Worth the $100 as I'll be coming out again and often!

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys
35 x 13.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers
LOD mid-width front bumper
Shrockworks rear bumper/carrier