Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks for Being There
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 am 

I don't know who I should thank specifically, but I was at Lowes off Craig Road and Losee yesterday, 2/26, and I walked right up to the wrong Jeep. One of you has a raised Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler with your logo on the hood. Since mine is a bright yellow '00 Wrangler with a modest 2" suspension lift and 31's, I was just walking on autopilot to the yellow Jeep. Now that I have had the chance to read some of the forum I am glad to get the chance to "meet" you all.

My name is Travis, my wife Paula and I like to go out exploring and camping in our Jeep. We have done some extensive driving recently in the Corn Creek Wildlife Refuge, and it's connection via Gass Peak Road back to Losee Road and the 215.

But, I do have a question for you all. We were out on Mormon Well Road a couple of weeks ago, and it was a sloppy mess out near the campground. I managed not to get stuck in the mud, but I pulled off into some snow, and found myself in 4Low and D1 (automatic) trying to get out of the snow. I ended up spinning one rear tire and not moving. Since then, I have found out quite a bit about my Jeep. I have Open Diffs, and a 3.07 Gear Ratio. I would like to remedy both of those items, and I would love some more input about the ratio to use as well as recommendations for front and/or rear lockers. This is my Daily Driver, and I really don't want to go to an active locking system i.e. air lockers or electric lockers.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I am really looking forward to meeting you all. By the way, we will probably be trying to join up with the Tuesday club, since we have Mondays and Tuesdays off.

Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 am 

yeah, snow and jeeps don't mix too well. :wink:

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm 

JJ wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now JJ, snow and Jeeps can be a lot of fun too, you just have to be ready for it....

I know, I know, we weren't

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara
4" Pro Comp SA, Goodyear MT/R 33's
Slip-yoke Elim, CV drive shaft, 4.56 gears
Sunrider Softtop, Satellite Radio, Garmin 760 GPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

i do beleave j.j. is speaking from very recent experiance.

[/img]Image

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

brad/duuuude wrote:
i do beleave j.j. is speaking from very recent experiance.

[/img]Image

I think that picture should be posted under "Things not to do". :shock:

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 pm 

JJ wrote:

Just another reason to drive a Scout :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:23 pm 

Phydeaux wrote:
I have Open Diffs, and a 3.07 Gear Ratio. I would like to remedy both of those items, and I would love some more input about the ratio to use as well as recommendations for front and/or rear lockers. This is my Daily Driver, and I really don't want to go to an active locking system i.e. air lockers or electric lockers.

Your best bet would be to see if you can drive someones Jeep that has what you think you might like to have as far as lockers. Selectable lockers are more popular since you can have them when you want, and not when you don't. If you use a full time locker (Detroit) you have to learn how it reacts so you can drive accordingly, especially in snow. And especially in the rear. Plus it depends on how you plan to use it. Selectables IMO are nicer for a DD. So are posis. A high end rear posi with a decent posi front might be what you really want.

As for gears, the Jeep guys might be a better source since they know the ratios for your trans. Decide if you ever plan to go up in tire size first though, as you really don't want to spend the money doing a gear swap twice. This chart should also help you figure out what you might need. http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Admin

welcome to the board travis. sorry for my bad manners but i just had to post the blackmail photo of j.j.'s little jeep in the snow lesson. a big yellow tj in the ao you mentioned brings jeepinjoe to my mind. a tj on 31's even with open diffs is a quite capable offroad machine, just ask justin. :) for a dd i'm with gary, a limited slip in the rear is a big help on road and off. my jeep is locked full time in the rear and my only issues with it is when i venture into snow & ice country. can you say pucker. :shock: as for gears, here you need to do some forward thinking. my jeep is on 32" tires and will never grow any bigger so i'm running 4.11 gears in the diffs and it works great. i reccomend 4.11's for 31" & 32" tires. 4.11's will work for 33" tires but most people feel under geared and wish they had 4.56 gears. therefore i say 4.56 is great for 33's and will work with 35" tires. but at 35" and above most folks end up with 4.88 gears. you need to figure out where you hope to grow your jeep to then plan on the right gear ratio. it gets expensive having the gears changed only to need to change them again later. this is just my opinion and i'm sure others will chime in shortly. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 am 

probably going off-topic...

my jeep swung over to the left like that when we pulled it back with Frog's jeep.

Damage Report, post car-wash:

left fender lost some paint and got dented, but not bad. I think it's a good thing I took off the bumper end caps, since that could've made it much worse.

driver's window is toast, unless someone knows how to sew a new zipper on there. I know I don't. guess I'm going to have to pony up for new ones. joy.

driver side fender flares are scratched, but I already have new ones sitting in the garage for when I get new wheels shortly.

driver's door is dented and deeply scratched.

I can't thank everyone enough for helping get the Jeep out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:50 pm 

JJ I have 2 extra half door tops, their in good condition. I'd sell them to you.
$75 ??
Oh, they are black.

4.0, D30/35 3:73's open/LSD
4" frankin-lift, 33's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 pm 

I appreciate that 4point.

I've already grabbed Ed's listed in the Sale items area.

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:07 pm 

Brad, GaryB and others...

Thanks for the advice. You guys are all kind of confirming a few things I am learning from others that just want to sell me stuff. As for future use, I don't EXPECT to see this Jeep grow any bigger than it is. (I say that because my wife will kill me if I do all of this over again) I put a ProComp 2" suspension lift in it and added the 31's, a Mile Marker 8000 lb winch, a red-top Optima battery, a new CB, and 6" KC's mounted at the mirrors. So much for height, coms, vision, and help get anyone out of trouble. Now, I'm looking at traction issues. Until now, I was going out solo, running Mojave road, Corn Creek, etc. I didn't have a group that makes plans around my Mon and Tues off (for some reason some strange people have Sat and Sun off). So...... She's not gonna get bigger, but she's been under geared since I bought her (used) with 30's. If the cases are gonna get opened, then I want to get it all done at once. Regearing to 4.11's (4.10's) True Trac's front and rear (LSD's) and new bearings and fluids.

If I'm making sense please let me know. If not please let me know what you would do differently. I am not sure enough on these changes to be closed minded.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a nice set up to work on vehicles if anyone needs help, air tools, hand tools, welder, etc. And I have turned quite a few wrenches in my time. I just know that lashing a new set of gears is beyond me. It's gonna be worth me paying a 4 wheel shop to do the cases rather than me having to take it to them anyway when I screw it up.

Thanks again for the advice, and I am looking forward to meeting you guys F2F soon.

Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 pm 

Hey Travis, I'm the guilty party!!! That was me at the Lowes parking lot that day. I remember seeing your Jeep, all nice and Yellow, how could I resist looking... :D I'm glad you found the board and posted up. It's the first time for me, that anyone has said anything about finding the club via the web address on my hood. So I guess it pays to advertise this awesome club. We need more yellow Jeeps in the club anyway. Hope to see you out on the trail sometime soon.

JeepinJoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:04 am 

JJ wrote:
probably going off-topic...

So where was that anyway?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 am 

Harris Springs road.