Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Ely run 3/31 - 4/1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm 

I'm planning on running the Silver State Trail section from Ash Springs to Ely on this weekend. This is the same trail I was planning to run the day before the Ely Rally last year for those that remember that far back :wink: I didn't due to no one wanting to join, and the weather was iffy to say the least.

Anyway, depending on if the new OHV area at Pahroc or Hell's Half Acre or whatever it's going to be called is open by then, the trail will either start from Ash Springs or Pahroc Summit, and wind north just east of SR 318. The "official" trail goes through the Big Rocks Wilderness, (really neat, Brad Cozart can attest) by a few mines and springs and out above Pioche. I plan to alter it a bit by continuing north up through Cave Valley and a few old ranches, by Pritchard's Station, (an old stagecoach stop with a building/ruins) past Ward Charcoal Ovens State Park and out south of Ely. Anyone who ran the Ward Mtn. run last summer, the dirt road you go in is where we would come out.

The good thing is there are numerous turn outs that can be taken, both to the east and west if needed. The SST is comprised of numerous back, ranch, and county roads. Except for any wash outs, it should be an easy (max) 1.5 rated trail most of the way as they are usually well maintained. More scenic than challenging really. Cave Valley Road for instance is mostly a 2 lane state/county maintained gravel road. IIRC, from Pahroc to the asphalt at Ely was around 165 miles of dirt. It's high desert, a mix of trees and sage brush, and likely lots of wild flowers at that time of year. It would likely be a long, all day event with staying over around Ely the plan for me at least, likely in a motel. Then coming back by asphalt to Vegas, which takes around 3-4 hours depending on traffic and your speed, Ely is IIRC 242 miles officially.

Ash Springs is about 97 miles (roughly 1 1/2 hours) from Vegas officially, and would be the last gas till Ely, and a stop on the way back as well as Alamo. A meeting point can be set pretty much anywhere, the likeliest being the turn off for US 93 (exit 64 on I-15). The issue is starting time, as it could be a 10 - 12 hour day on the road easy. I'd say the absolute latest to leave exit 64 would be 7AM, I'd like it to be earlier myself. As it gets closer, I'll set a time and place in stone, especially since mother nature likes to alter that area violently and quickly, it might even be put off for a later date.

I also carry maps of the SST system that I can show to anyone interested at the next club or fun runs.

BTW this should be the first weekend of Spring Break for most everyone with school kids. So you could likely spend another day hanging out in Ely or taking your time back if you wanted. I might even come back Monday morning early so I can get in some fishing in at Commins Lake Sunday. I want to land me a pike :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:29 pm 

Sounds like a nice run, Gary. I'd go, but I'll be heading up to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari that week. I'm sure there will be others who will be able to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:27 am 

Yeah, I know we talked about that. I figured this weekend would be better for anyone with kids, and plus Easter is the following weekend and that might be an issue for some.

If it wasn't for my planning for the Trails Day Run, I'd likely have pushed it back. But now I have a limited time frame to work with.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:10 am 

Gary I might be up for this.

NVTTORA President/Webmaster
www.nvttora.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hopefully, I am going to Moab too! So I'll miss this one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:33 am 

afhanson72 wrote:
Hopefully, I am going to Moab too! So I'll miss this one. :D

PFFFFT! Moab is so over rated Image

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:01 pm 

Gary did you get your vehicle fixed yet?

www.nvttora.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:12 pm 

Grimlock wrote:
Gary did you get your vehicle fixed yet?

Yeah. It turns out I had 3 bad fuel pumps :roll: I was beginning to think it was internal. Other than some preventative maintenance I want to get done before then, I'm a go. In fact, I'm wanting to go so bad I'm likely to rent a 4X if needed when the time comes.

Also in talking to Darrel at last months club run, we can actually start in Ash Springs in the Area 52 OHV they are creating, as the road that will be part of the SST is preexisting and open to use.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm 

Thats Great! I was hoping this was still a go. Sounds good to me.

www.nvttora.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:27 am 

Just checking in to see if anyone else was secretly planning on going. I ask as it looks like Carl will not be able to make it, and if no one else was planning, then I'd have no reason to wait, which would be good as it's going to be a long day as it is.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4