Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clear your calenders!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:08 am 

Okay, now I that I have your attention.

Some of you might remember Scuba Steve and I talking about the National Trails Day Lincoln County puts on every June. For those that don't, or have no idea what it is, National Trails Day http://www.americanhiking.org/events/ntd/ is put on across the country every year, in various towns, counties, etc., usually the first weekend in June. Do to our oven range heat in June, Las Vegas's day is usually held around October. Depending on who holds it, you have everything from horse to bicycle to ATV to 4X to hiking etc. all in one day.

Anyway, Lincoln County didn't have a 4X/SUV run the last year due to the lead person moving IIRC. I offered up my help in organizing it, and they are interested in getting one in this year. I'm still gathering info, like where and what runs I'll likely do, but the date is for sure June 2nd & 3rd. The main day is the 3rd, and they usually have a dinner and raffle and the norm festivities that night. If I have enough folks can get up there Friday, I can maybe lead some short fun runs.

This is more or less a pre-warning. As I get more details, I'll add to this, as well as post it on Sin City and VV4W to try to get some more interest into it. I know some folks have expressed interest in going up there, and this would be a nice time to explore in cooler temps. Plus, I'd can likely get my cousins house for folks to camp out at in either tents or RV's or inside, etc. Joe and Al can attest to humble living conditions :wink: The trails would be stock friendly definite, and if I can fit them in, you're likely to see mines and ghost town ruins as well as some nice scenery.

I'm not yet sure what town will be hosting, but from Vegas to Caliente for example is about 150 miles. So you could run up for a long day if you wanted to. There's RV parks and camp grounds, as well as motels, though those usually fill fast during the summer. If enough interest is evident, I can likely get some rooms saved with enough warning.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:53 pm 

Sounds awesome. I am interested. I'm also up for a weekend retreat at the "Caliente Resort and Spa" again!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 am 

Well one update is it will be in Caliente this year for sure, so now I just have to choose which trail I want to do. Too many to choose from for just one day, that's for sure :D

EDIT NOTE:

Well I emailed them some trail ideas. I'm planning on doing at least one pre run weekend to make sure my primary is a go. It would include not only some scenic terrain, but hopefully a few big mines with ruins and the like. Should all be very stock friendly and enjoyable. And nice, cool temps :wink: Sort of a prelude to the July Ely run. Hopefully I can get together with them soon to hash it out and as I get more detailed info, I'll post up anything I find out.

I'm also going to gather up the contact info for the motels and RV parks, etc. to post for anyone wanting it. I figure though I could park at least 5 average RV's in my cousins yard with what's been leveled out some what. Plus there's plenty of room to put up a tent (5 acres) and room inside for air mattress's and a couple of beds.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 pm 

Let me know when you are planning to head up to do the pre-run. If I am free I would like to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:24 pm 

Gary will this be a stock friendly trail? or at least something we could do in the dodge? Please let us know I may be able to get some time off to go up there.

Who said Dodge's can't wheel!

Ram 1500 Quad Cab
6" Rough Country lift(with skids)
K&N
NBMC/CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:12 am 

bluemw wrote:
Gary will this be a stock friendly trail? or at least something we could do in the dodge? Please let us know I may be able to get some time off to go up there.

Yeah, they'll be full size stock friendly. I want to keep it that way to try to attract more people, like the ones with daily drivers or families with a newer 4X. We've talked about maybe having a harder and easy trail, easy being the primary, so in case we get a lot of vehicles and need to split up the run into two. While it would be neat to have too many vehicles show, I told them I think 20 rigs is a realistic number for showing up, maybe 30 max. Most everything up there would be friendly toward a large group as the roads are usually well traveled, and you can move along at a decent pace.

Now I just need to get up there to do some pre-running. the guy I'm talking to says there might be too much snow right now, but I might still try an early run next month depending on what mother nature does.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:12 pm 

We are interested in going. Maybe get Friday off to drive up. We have a travel trailer and would welcome the spot to park/camp. We always look forward to spending time on the trails. Will keep checking for updates.

John and Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:14 pm 

I'm going up for a pre run on the 16th, 17th & 18th of Feb. I'm going up Friday night (likely around 6, maybe 7) so I can be there to head out early enough Saturday to try to get as much in as I can. Then staying over that night, coming back Sunday, maybe in town by noonish.

Trail condition is unknown. Might be snow (highly likely I hear) or wash outs. Maybe some road repairs to be made, but if it's not stock friendly, or can be made so, we won't do it.

Looking to hit at least one trail, my primary pick. If we run into issues where we have to call it off, I know other trails (back up pre runs) and sites to see to make it worth the trip for anyone coming up. Other wise I might just go look at real estate :wink:

Anyone is welcome to tag along or meet me up there when ever. So you could come up Sat and stay the night, or both nights if anyone wants to go up Friday night. Got room at the house if you want to stay there too. Let me know by posting here or the other post.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm 

Oh and the house reservations are made for June, so hopefully after the pre run, I'll have everything definite.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm 

Okey Dokey, got the pics loaded, but they are not in order for some reason. Webshots is not accepting my rearrangement either :roll:

Anyway, I'm going to put up a trail description, but hopefully all the places in the pics will be on the run (getting an authorization idea now) but worse case is only 2 should be off limits. Those being the Pan American and Comet Mines. The Pan American is so so, but the Comet (as you'll see from the pics) is quite awesome.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:21 pm 

Gary those were some awesome pics!!
Did you find a car junkyard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:07 pm 

Yeah, awesome pics, Gary. That looks like a fun area to explore. Certainly a lot to see. Keep us up to date on the details. I hope to be able to make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:46 pm 

Unclebuck&Wendy wrote:
Gary those were some awesome pics!!
Did you find a car junkyard?

It's part of the old ranch. The only reason they are there is they are off the road mixed in with the trees. I knew they were there, but had forgotten how many there were.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
Yeah, awesome pics, Gary. That looks like a fun area to explore. Certainly a lot to see. Keep us up to date on the details. I hope to be able to make it.

We saw a lot more that I didn't take pics of. Found a lot of old historical sites that were not much more than foundation outlines and tin can grave yards.

The snow drifts on the backside of Highland were fun. Luckily the BLM ran a loader through there doing trail repairs, so it made it easier to get through. Something about sliding sideways along a 100 foot cliff at 7000 feet elevations bothers my wife :roll:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:10 pm 
This might be a good one for me to finally tag along on. My In-Laws own 11 acres just north of the caliente gorge right next to the highway... there working on converting it to a RV Camp might be a good opportunity to get his feet wet hosting a few campers =) We'll see plus im sure .. plus im sure Bluemw wouldnt mind having another dodge on the trail anyhow... we'll see