Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Valley Run
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:56 am 

OK here is the Death Valley Trip-Run. Last year it ended up being just Joe and I because Titus canyon was closed and everyone bailed. So this year Titus is open at the moment, but we all know that can change.
Plan on a the weekend of March 2-4th
I plan on camping and running to Eureka Dunes on the 2nd and Titus on the 3rdand then down to Tecopa springs on the 4th.
That is subject to change based on who attends and any suggestions submitted. Plan on leaving early on the 2nd and returning the afternoon on the 4th. If you want to just run Titus then I will set a meeting time and place for those that just want to come up for the day.

Mark you calendars and request days off work if needed. I will post details soon.
Updated dates- Had a conflict so moved to first weekend in March

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm 

What??? Did I just see...???

The dates changed right before my eyes, or was I just dreaming? :P

I will be there!!! I'm sure I can get Friday off from work so we can do a three day/two night camping trip. The destinations sound good to me.

Count me in!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:06 pm 

things are changing for me and my work situation (for those in the know...this is an amazing thing), and I'm pretty darn sure I'll be going.

:twisted:

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm 

I'm in.

Craig - The boys are going, right?? Otherwise Matt will be sad. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:47 pm 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
What??? Did I just see...???

The dates changed right before my eyes, or was I just dreaming? :P

Yeah, I noticed that too :wink:

I have to check in and see when the Scout West guys are planning to run DV. They usually do it around March but I know they are planning a big get together around EJS too.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 am 

Stan and Cathy are in, do you plan camping at the furnace creek camp grounds? we always have a plan {B} if the weather is bad we will stay at the Furnace Creek Ranch it is a little pricie but not bad stayed there before you have the choise $32.00 for a steak or $12.00 for a cheese burger.May be if there is time we can make a run up to Scotty's Castle it is about an hour drive from Furnace Creek around $15.00 to see the castle.Sounds like a fun weekend

NBRR / NBMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:02 am 

Stan and Cathy - Glad you guys can make it. I'm not sure where we are camping. Actually, I have no idea where we will be going since this will be my first trip to the Death Valley area! :lol:

I'm excited, it should be an awesome trip with a great group!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 am 

I have the book from Roger Mitchell called the Death Valley SUV Trails A guide to 46 interesting four-wheeling excursions in the Death Valley Country...we could spend a week there and be in the dirt every day

NBRR / NBMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 pm 

I like the idea of going to Death Valley. I've been planning on going some time in Mar anyway to check out the flower power. Does anyone have any desire to go out to racetrack? I"ve been want ing to check that out for a while now. Where's the starting point location?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:11 pm 

Craig (N2Deep) is setting this run up. I believe he is trying to make a Saturday run through Titus Canyon for those who won't be camping Friday and want to go through Titus on Saturday.

I'm sure he will be posting more details when the time gets closer as to the meeting place and camping spots, and times. It's still over a month out and it does take some time to plan everything out.

So, just keep an eye on this thread for updates and details. I'm sure they will be coming soon. Believe me, where ever Craig leads us, it will be a blast. I know last year it was!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:37 pm 

I'm looking forward to Titus Canyon. It's great out there. I hope it's open. I'll keep an eye on the board for updates. Thanks Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:06 pm 

sunrunner wrote:
I like the idea of going to Death Valley. I've been planning on going some time in Mar anyway to check out the flower power. Does anyone have any desire to go out to racetrack? I"ve been want ing to check that out for a while now. Where's the starting point location?

It's at the Northern end, by Ubehebe Crater. If you go north past Beatty to the Scotty's Junction turn off (SR267), go past Scotty's Castle and to the right (there's signage) to the crater. This way you can avoid the park entrance fees, unless you are going into the park anyway.

BTW, here's the "official" DV site: http://www.nps.gov/deva
The really good DV site which was run by "locals" has gone defunct unfortunately.

I like to go in from the north and travel south through either Shoshone or Amargosa/Pahrump and back into town. Makes a nice big cirlce. I have only stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch, which wasn't too badly priced. The food nearby was pricey but good, and I was full. You do have to remember though, this is their "season". The Furnace Creek Resort rooms start at $150 a night IIIRC. Take as much gas and ice as you can, as everywhere in the park is outrageous year around, regardless of the gas prices/issues anywhere else.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:03 pm 

As of this weeked Titus canyon was open. I just went through it for the time. A very nice little drive.

NVTTORA President/Webmaster
www.nvttora.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:05 pm 

Hello to all. New to this forum but am interested in your Death Valley trip. Have been to Death Valley and Panamint Valley before and really enjoy the area. Was wondering if you minded a tag-a-long? My wife and I would love to join you. We're from San Diego and have been to DV with Andy from http://www.ubehebe.com/. He really knows the area and his website could help in planning your trip. I've stayed at Furnace Creek before (motel not campground) and enjoyed my stay there. Room was comfortable and the food was good. Recognize at least one from this forum. Although we haven't wheeled together yet look forward to meeting you and your wife (Navy-Jeepster). That's it for now. See ya'll on the dirt sometime! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:14 pm 

RKHDLJ wrote:
Hello to all. New to this forum but am interested in your Death Valley trip. Have been to Death Valley and Panamint Valley before and really enjoy the area. Was wondering if you minded a tag-a-long? My wife and I would love to join you. We're from San Diego and have been to DV with Andy from http://www.ubehebe.com/. He really knows the area and his website could help in planning your trip. I've stayed at Furnace Creek before (motel not campground) and enjoyed my stay there. Room was comfortable and the food was good. Recognize at least one from this forum. Although we haven't wheeled together yet look forward to meeting you and your wife (Navy-Jeepster). That's it for now. See ya'll on the dirt sometime! :D

Welcome to the forum RKHDLJ. You are more than welcome to join us on this run. I believe we will be mostly tent camping, but I'm not 100% sure where and if we will be close to anything such as a motel or not. Keep your eyes posted on this thread for further details, meeting times and places, and anything else pertaining to this run.

It was a blast last year and I'm sure it will be a great run this year, too. Craig (N2Deep) is planning it and I'm sure it will be awesome. Thanks for the added info, too. I'll have to check it out just for my own interest.