Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am 

12/29-12/31

I’m looking for people who would like to join me for a few days for some off road exploring in Esmeralda and Mineral County. If you haven’t been to this area, you don’t know what you’re missing. Beautiful country, Ghost Towns, Mine Ruins and great camping. I’m an ATV guy but 4x4’ers are of course welcome as well. On this trip, I will be offloading in Dyer, NV Thursday morning and heading out North from there. 2 nights camping returning mid afternoon on Saturday. Even if nobody chimes in and joins me, I will still be making this trip but I would really enjoy some company. You can come and go as you please. I will supply Cell #’s and be monitoring FRS Radio channel 7 throughout the ride and can supply GPS coordinates as needed. Anyone interested??

It is December so it will be cold at night. Zero to teens at night so be equipped accordingly. Here are some pictures of past trips to give you an idea of what to expect………

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:44 pm 

Well, I haven’t had too much response to my invitation. I posted the invite on several boards. A couple of people have given me a “Maybe” on other boards so we will see. In any case, I will be heading out from Dyer, NV Thursday morning. I am planning on visiting several places I have never been to yet. Columbus, Candelaria, Moho, Marietta and others. Below are some pictures I found from other sites of some of these areas. I can’t wait!! Wish me luck……..it’s still not too late to join!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:33 pm 

OK Guys, I have one definate confirmation. I have a trail bud joining me from California. He will be running his very well equipped Jeep and I will be on my Quad. We should be seeing some amazing things! Detailed trip report WILL follow.

If any of you decide to join us at the last minute, here is the "Flight Plan".......

We are meeting up at the Esmeralda Market in Dyer, NV Wednesday night. We will camp that night in the RV Park and head out early Thursday morning heading north. Our first stop will be Columbus, NV Site. From there, we will be meandering back and forth in the area West of Mina, NV (Possibly as far as Aurora) over the next few days. All locations with GPS coordinates are available via Google Maps. We should have sporadic cell service during this time so we should be reachable via TXT Message. My trail phone is 702-218-6164. If we don't get the message right away, we will eventually and get back to you. Feel free to join up with us anytime. We will make every effort to link up with you if you do. We plan on returning to Dyer Saturday by 3 PM. That's 3 FULL days out on the trail with no outside support. C'mon guys!

There it is guys, wish us luck!

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:09 pm 

Thank you for the invite, hope you have a wonderfull trip. looking foward to the report.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 pm 

I got back to Vegas just after midnight New Year’s Day. What a fantastic trip! 3 days and 2 nights on the trail. GPS odometer read 219 miles once we pulled back into the RV Park in Dyer around 5 pm yesterday.
2 days before I was planning on leaving, I finally got an email from someone on one of the boards I posted the invitation on. He was a hard core wheeler from California who wanted to come with a close bud of his. Both would be running their well equipped Jeeps. I lucked out. These guys were great! We are already talking about our next trip. Both guys are experienced campers who, like me, constantly wanted to see what was on the “Other Side” of that hill.
We met up Wednesday night in Dyer at the RV Park where I was going to leave my trailer. We camped there and headed out early Thursday morning. We camped at the Moho mine that night in Mineral County after a full day of riding. The next day, we headed out toward Marietta and explored several mines and ghost towns in the area before heading south. We made camp the second night after dark near the BB Mine at the base of Boundary Peak (Highest Peak in Nevada). On Saturday, we headed out and explored a few more mines as well as running a couple of VERY cool canyons while heading back to Dyer.
Between the 3 of us, we took 100’s of pictures. Here are a few of the ones I took. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for looking………………

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm 

Getting ready to head out from Dyer
Heading North
Look closely at the nearest ridgeline. A small heard of Big Horn almost ran me over crossing the trail. What a sight!! They were this far away before I got my camera out.

Some friends keeping an eye on us 

We thought we would take a short cut across an Alkaline dry lake………… We were lucky to get off this thing! I was fine on the quad but once we got going, the Jeeps had to stay into it HARD to keep from getting bogged down during the 6 mile run!

First nights camp

Second nights camp near Boundary Peak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:03 pm 

Some pics of the towns and mine sites we saw………

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:04 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:05 pm 

Some ‘Wheelin shots………..

Till next time…………………………

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm 

terrific pictures
how does the person like his cot tent?

04 Rubicon;66 F100