Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pony Express Trail?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 pm 

Anyone have any interest in running the eastern half in Nevada?

I've run from Dry creek station (middle of the state, about 30-40 miles west of Eureka) to 10 miles from the Utah border where you hit the goshute reservation minus about 5 miles that I haven't explored yet. I think it's about 150-175 trail miles then a decent back track to get to 93/ Ely, nothing hard, a couple car wash pin striping areas, 1 creek crossing (might be bypassable) and 1 bad silt bed that bypassable, most of it I've run in my 2500HD. I've done it in chunks but never in 1 shot. I'm thinking do it as 2 day trip and camp out on the trail. Maybe stop in Eureka for fuel. It's not quite 1/2 way but the only spot for fuel besides Schellbourne (not sure if they actually have gas or not). Otherwise your at about 350 miles (rough guess) if you fueled up in Eureka, ran the whole trail, and went back to Ely.

We'd need to run it pretty soon, it's going to get really cold here soon. Anyone game? There's at least 2 old mines I know of and I'm sure some other stuff I've missed. It is a bit silty/ dusty in spots, you'd probably want an enclosed cab or parker pumpers.

Post subject: Re: Pony Express Trail?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 pm 

I'd take you up on the offer but I have to plan for deer season coming up, and hopefully (finger's crossed) a job transfer. Someday I want to run it from Utah to Cali though.

Here's a site about it: http://www.xphomestation.com/nvsta.html#RTL

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:40 am 

Old trails are interesting and can be fun. The main California emigrant trail runs through my neck of the state and a short distance to the west the Lassen-Applegate trail branches off and runs up through the Black Rock and into California near the Oregon border. Lots of tragedy and human drama along those trails. The main emigrant trail runs pretty much along the Humboldt River and so does Interstate 80, thus not as pleasurable to run nor isolated, except for a stretch through the Carson and Humboldt River sinks north of Fallon. The Lassen-Applegate does have books and guides dedicated to running that trail and pretty much all of it is very isolated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 am 

GaryB wrote:
... a job transfer.

Finally getting the opportunity to come north? Or still stuck in LV?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 am 

Centralish Nevada, Lincoln County. I've turned down many chances to go north.

Hopefully I won't come to regret that.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 am 

There is no gas in Shellbourne. There is a resterant there know, that has good food,also a motel. If you go thru Shellbourne stop a few minutes and check out the Pony Express siluwette that was put up this year.

Geno

NBRR
UFWDA BOD,BRC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 am 

A buddy and I are going to run the eastern half in Nevada weather permiting the last weekend of October, either Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday. Let me know if your interested. It's pretty mild, 2 spots you will get Nevada pin striping (if it's that big of a deal you can make a big bypas). Let me know if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 pm 

Plans have changed. We are going to run it this Saturday the 16th Leaving from Eureka at 6:30am and see how far we can get in 1 day. Anyone is welcome to crash on my floor, there's a couple RV parks in town (sorry they won't fit in my drive way).