Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventures in prerunning
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 am 

I have been on a semi-quest to find this place for some time: http://www.robertwynn.com/KaneSprings.htm

The owner of that website, gave me ballpark directions to it. So I mapped out some trails above Moapa, tying this ranch site in with them for a future club run. So while you guys were out exploring Bare Mtn., I was out trying to get lost. After some zig zagging and back tracking and giving up on my info and just trusting my gut, I found the place: Image

Turns out some of the confusion in finding it is that he called it Kane Springs which is about 10 miles NW. This site is actually at Cane Springs. :roll: Anyway, the site is very neat, and worth the short trip, but thanks to the BLM who bought/adopted the land, it is now under a restoration project and requires a 1/4 of a mile hike into it. I never made it to the petroglyphs since they were even farther of a hike from the ranch house and we hadn't planned on doing extensive hiking and were ill prepared for any. So maybe this Fall I'll set up a fun run/hike to it for anyone interested now that I know where everything is at exactly.

To top it all off, I couldn't get access to the nearest trail I had mapped thanks to the UP and their Nazi-istic approach to blocking any roads that cross their right of way. So it's back to the TOPOs to find a way around them.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 am 

I forgot to add that after all my ill attempts to find this place, I was describing it to my Dad on the phone after finding it and not only did he give me turn by turn directions, he knew the history of it as least from the time the original owner died to about the late 1960's. I swear he's a freakin' encyclopedia sometimes.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 am 

Looks like a really neat place!