Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:45 pm 

We are going to do our own Panamint Days a week after the real Panamint Days run. We will be camping at the campgrounds at Panamint Springs resort. Thay have full hookups ,and sites with no hookups. Thay also re-modeled their hotel. It is a nice unique place if you never have been there. We will run all of the easy trails from Panamint Days. But, we also on Sat or Sunday will do Goller wash which can be a 3 or 4 , but since we are doing it the week after the rally I am hopping thay will have it smoothed out. We will also be doing the Barker Ranch to see what is left of it. It is not stock friendly . Don't know the rating , but won't go down anything greater than a 3 (If I can help it ). So come out for Sat or Sunday or the whole 4 days. Rex :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:10 am 

Which route will you use to get to the Barker Ranch? West Side Road/Warm Springs/Striped Butt/Mengel Pass or Goler Wash?

If coming in from the east, there are some stairsteps and some little rough spots going up to Mengel Pass. Going up Goler Wash is easy-peasy.

Dang Glad my son and I were able to see Barker Ranch during our 2008 Summer Desert Trip.

Some pics:

Mengel Pass:

Good luck with your trip!

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:43 am 

We were there in 2007 , and we went down Goller wash. We had a long bed pickup with us and he ended up tearing out his driveshaft. Which I must post no long wheelbase vehicles. Mitchel says it could be anything from a 2 to a 5 on his system that uses 1 to 6. But usually after Panamint Days it is the smoothest. Rex :DPS: you know the Barker ranch burnt down! Some people, friends of Death Valley, or something like that,are going to try to rebuild it.

Last edited by Rex & Shirley on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:34 am 

Hmmm...I'll have to look at the calendar to see if i have anything planned during that week. I will be in Nevada in the month of November...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:34 pm 

Took the time off. I'll be there.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:27 am 

I am going to try to make it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 pm 

We sadly are unable to go on this one. John can't get the time off - someone has already claimed it at work. :(

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 pm 

If I can get Friday off at my second job and can get on the road shortly after my first job, I may just head out and try to get there before it is too late in the evening. I'd like to do runs with you guys on Sat and Sunday then head home Sunday afternoon sometime. Don't have any more paid days off until after Christmas. I'd be tent camping and I've camped there in Janurary once before. It was nice and cool...41 degrees over night. Great sleeping weather...LOL.

I'll pencil it in and hope to make it. Sounds like a lot of fun. I love Death Valley!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:38 pm 

Friday we will meet at the Panamint Springs Resort in front whenever Tom and Beth get there. Probably around 1 or 2. Then we will do the back door to Darwin. Saturday we will do Goller wash , Striped Valley. It will take all day so we will need to leave early. Meet at the Resort at 7 and roll at 7:30. Sunday we want to do Ballarat, Suprise Canyon, Jail House Canyon, and look out city. So, meet at 8:30 and roll at 9:00. Monday I would like to go to Skidoo. It is a half day run so everyone can leave by noon to get home . Meet at 8:30 and roll at 9:00. Bill and Mickey are going and thay both know Death Valley like the back of their hand. So, shouldn't get lost and if we have time we can see other stuff. :wink: :D Rex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:55 pm 

got the time off, so will be driving out of vegas on friday.
want to be home monday night or have a good reason to drag thru the door tuesday...
mitchell's death valley suv guide and the panamint days itinerary describe this area well.
used to live outside of lone pine in the 70's and drove a honda civic(it wasn't a rental) have always wanted to explore the panamints. the inyo valley has the lowest elevation in death valley and one of the higher peaks, mt whitney. the alabama hills were the cowboy film mecca for john wayne.
back road to darwin was in 4 wheel and suv magazine last month.
now that the weather is cooler, don't want to waste the season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:44 am 

Update for me...I won't be able to get off work on Friday, so I'll be heading up there early, early Saturday morning to make the 7am meeting time. Still working out the time it will take me to get there. I figure about 4 hrs. I'll make a stop in Beatty for fuel, then head in. So, maybe I'll hit the road around 2am...only 2.5 hours earlier than I'm use to getting up for work... :P This way I won't have to push it too hard and should arrive in plenty of time to spare...maybe take a quick nap... :wink: The meeting spot is Panamint Springs at the resort across the street from the camping grounds, right?? Just checking to be sure... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 am 

Thats right Joe. Just outside of the restaurant, across from the camping area. I thought we would fill up at Furnace Creek on our way to Goler Wash. Would it save you some time if we meet at Stovepipe wells or Furnace Creek when we came thru there? I know it will be a long day and maybe that would cut down some of your travel time. :?: Rex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm 

I will be meeting Rex and the rest on Saturday morning in Death Valley. I will be leaving my house between 5:30-6:00am up near Craig and I-15, then heading to Blue Diamond SR160 to Pahrump and on over to Death Valley to meet up with rest of the group. It is approximately a 3 hour drive from my house to the meeting place, putting me there around 9ish in the morning.

I figured that Rex and the group staying in Panamint Springs, has an approximately 2 hour drive to get to the point I'll be waiting, with maybe a stop in Furnace Creek putting them at the spot at around 9:30ish to 10am.

So, if anyone is still wanting to go Saturday morning, just for the day, and your rig fits the specified criteria that Rex posted, I will be passing the McDonalds on Blue Diamond and Rainbow on my way to Pahrump, I could meet you there. I will be going only for the day, like I said, due to an illness that keeps me from camping over night like I initially intended, so you won't have to ride back into Vegas alone, if that worries anyone.

If anyone wants to meet, I will be at the McDonalds at approximately 6:15am. Either post or PM me that you are meeting me, or be there by that time please. I will only stay there until no later than 6:30am. I really want to be at the meeting spot as early as possible as not to miss Rex if they make better time than I anticipate, and to take some photos of the valley. Really, probably take a nap and hope they wake me as the roll by... :P :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 am 

Ah, what a great day in the dirt with some awesome people...I had such a great time. I really needed that, thanks Rex and Shirley for leading the run. And thanks to everyone else there who made it so enjoyable. It was a long day which started at 5:30am and I got home around 10pm last night. Well worth the trip...I love Death Valley!! Would love to have been out there again today doing the trails Rex has planned. Maybe next time. I'll have pics posted up soon. I took 430!!! I have to go through them and cut them down a bit... :P

Just added...click the pic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 pm 

Got home from Death Valley last night. What a great time! Thanks to everyone who helped leading and providing for the campfires and food. Lets do it again!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"