Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonopah to Austin
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:06 pm 

A few of us Non-Nevada natives are getting together in a few weeks and spending a week working our way between Tonopah and Austin zigzagging into the Toquima and Monitor Ranges. We’ll be camping most nights, but like to stay in Motel’s, B&B’s, or ranches when we can. We also plan to see what sites of History or Geologic significance that we can find.

A few places we plan to go: (I think the total list is 41 spots)
Miniature Grand Canyon
Diana's Punch Bowl
Toquime Cave
Central Nevada Test Site
Faultless test site
Lunar Crater
Ichthyosaus Park
Round Mtn Mine
Ghost towns of Belmont, Manhattan, Ione, Berlin, Grantsville and Tybo
Berlin

If anyone has tips for accommodations or sites to see, I’d like to hear any or all you would like to share, I know you don’t know me, and I don’t expect you to revile any Jewels, and I don’t need to be spoon-feed directions, we have good map skills.

Anyone with a 4x4 and 2 meter is welcome to come with us, but we need to limit the group to FS limits (if there are any). We are NOT 4 wheelers, more like Explores. We drive 4x4 pickups and won’t be doing anything considered as ‘tactical’ or ‘difficult’. I’ve been around this site a while and read a lot of the posting, and I think people around here would find our travel boring, but your still welcome to come for all or just a small part of this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Tonopah to Austin
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:38 pm 

The geographical center of Nevada is near Diana's punch bowl. I have GPS coordinates somewhere, I'll look for them. When you leaving?

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:21 pm 

GaryB wrote:
The geographical center of Nevada.... I have GPS coordinates, I'll look for them.

Yes I know where it is, but THANKS for the tip all the same. 8) I'm sure we will stop at it, but it is not on my to do list. It's very close to the road that is very likely on our route

GaryB wrote:
When you leaving?

In a few weeks. If you think you can to go, PM me and I’ll send my email address, we can work out the details. I’m old school and still fear posting personal info on public viewed web sites.

BTW you might be my first and only reply on this board. I should have known a Scout owner would be the one. :D I have a 69 800A V8 as a future 4x4 exploring rig (aka project rig) . I like your sig line.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 am 

I won't likely be able to go, we have our own trip across I-80 sometime early June to work on. I was just curious in case I remembered some sites to see that I might be able to pass along.

For the most part though, your short list covers most of the good ones. Between Berlin and the fossil site is the ruins of the town Union. Other than an adobe house, not much is left, but they have a walking tour in the canyon that says what was where. Can't miss it as it's on the road between the two. Also, the back way from Manhattan to Belmont is nice. Forget the name of the road though. Jack Longstreet's Mine and his main ranch are SE of Belmont. Haven't been there yet, but I've seen pics, might be worth a stop.

I also saw Berlin and the fossil site in Oct last year. I took pics, but never posted them yet. On one pic I have the times for the tour at the fossil site if you need them. I also have the info for the B&B in Belmont, but you likely have that?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm 

Hi - we spent a weekend last year about this time of the year visiting Berlin and the Ichthyosaus Park. There is a campground in the park - not sure about reservations - but it is listed on thier website. We had a travel trailer at that time and stayed at a RV park in Mina. Make sure that you take the guided tour in the fossil house - it was great. Happy trails!

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:02 am 

GaryB wrote:
... we have our own trip across I-80 ... Between Berlin and the fossil site is the ruins of the town Union. ...... Jack Longstreet's Mine I've seen pics, might be worth a stop..... fossil site ....one pic I have the times for the tour at the fossil site if you need them. I also have the info for the B&B in Belmont....

The town of union? My info shows the site of Grantsville there? I do recall a Unionville near Rye Patch Res. from my retrace of the Applegate Trail. If you meant Grantsville it’s on my radar, THANKS.

Yes I have all the fossil site times, events, info, but THANKS for the offer.

I recall seeing Jack Longstreet's mine in Windy Canyon during my research, but didn’t plan to go there. Since I plan to drive Hot Creek Canyon a detour to Jack’s mine may be in order since it’s not that far. I’ve not even seen any info or pics of it, so your tip is the kinda GOLD I’m looking for. BIG THANKS. 8) :D

I called the B&B in Belmont and left a message, and sent and e-mail, but never heard back. I did get a phone number to the managers ‘day joy’ but opted to stay in Manhattan, if that falls thru I’ll camp or try the B&B again. :)

Trip “across I-80”? I’ll have to watch for the details, of course I already have plans for the free time I have in June. Have fun. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:16 am 

John and Chris wrote:
..weekend last year about this time of the year visiting Berlin and the Ichthyosaus Park. ...stayed at a RV park in Mina.

Did you go thru Gabbs? Did you notice there camp area/site/ground there? Any info would be helpful. Did you like Mina? I drive by it many times, but can't recall what's there.

I'm looking forward to the Ichthyosaus Park (I hope you spelled it right, I sure could not :lol: ) and the info I will learn. As I recall it's the biggest fish ever and is only found in the middle of a state best know for it's deserts. 8) 8)

THANKS.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 am 

THANKS for the reply, and please keep them coming. Weather I know about them or not, it would be good to hear input. Anyway part of the fun for me is in the re-trip research and planning and having some to bounce info with is even better. :D

I basically don’t like doing the ‘tourist loop’ and I try not to have ‘fixed plans’. I like my exploring trips to have a bunch of POIs as things to see and then go with what I learn when I get there.

I can’t count how many times I’ve meant a local and learned about and got to see something that was spectacular that very few have seen or know about, sometimes it gets me behind locked gates with owners permission. Twice local amateur radio operators (Hams) have given me local details. IMHO it’s human nature to show off your local area when you find someone who will appreciate the sites.

THANKS again for the info. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 am 

Leif Spring wrote:
The town of union? My info shows the site of Grantsville there? I do recall a Unionville near Rye Patch Res. from my retrace of the Applegate Trail. If you meant Grantsville it’s on my radar, THANKS.

I recall seeing Jack Longstreet's mine in Windy Canyon during my research, but didn’t plan to go there. Since I plan to drive Hot Creek Canyon a detour to Jack’s mine may be in order since it’s not that far. I’ve not even seen any info or pics of it, so your tip is the kinda GOLD I’m looking for. BIG THANKS. 8) :D

Trip “across I-80”? I’ll have to watch for the details, of course I already have plans for the free time I have in June. Have fun. :D

Union is between Berlin and the fossil site, where as Grantsville is SE of the 3. I remembered I did get around to posting the pics:

Been to Unionville too. :wink:

Jack's Ranch and mine aren't far apart from each other. http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/nye/l ... tnorth.htm http://www.robertwynn.com/LongstreetM.htm
http://www.robertwynn.com/Longstreet2.htm
I knew of more pictures and directions, but the guy's site is down or gone or what ever.

I fell in love with the Hot Creek house when I read about it in this months' Nevada magazine http://www.robertwynn.com/HotCreek.htm It was once a hotel even. I plan to someday make it there.

If you are going up US95 to get to Gabbs and the rest, there's a place on the north end of the Rhodes Marsh called Columbia. It's west of 95, just before you get out of the valley. There's a Nevada Historical Marker on the road to it. Mostly just ruins and debris. But some people like debris.

I honestly don't remember seeing any signs for a camping spot in Gabbs, but there were people camping just off SR844 before the climb up the summit going east to Berlin/Ione. A guy on ghosttowns.com said they do have a motel/campground though, as of 1/2008. I do know gas in Gabbs isn't always available and the guy running the place isn't either.

As for Mina, scroll down the page to his pics: http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com/ He also has a site with the names, so you know where the pics were taken: http://www.ghosttownexplorer.com/
There's also a great Mom and Pop fast Food place there called SscorrasS or some weird thing.

As for I-80, were hitting a few of the most desolate Nevada Historical Markers in Jarbidge, Soldier Meadows, and High Rock Canyon along with all the easy ones along the way. Maybe go to Denio, just to say I did. Mostly we'll be running asphalt except for High Rock and Jarbidge.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm 

Thanks GB for the Union / Grantsville location(s) clarification. Thanks for the pic of the map. I didn’t know about the town site of Union

Thanks for the Longstreet and Hot creek links, that’s all new to me. I’m going to savor those links tonight, I sure I’ll be getting back to ya. 8) I did have the ‘Old Page Place’ on my radar.

Gabbs data will be on my way home info. I’ll be leaving Austin headed toward the Fossil Park and spend the day looking at sites in that area. Everything will depend on how many days it takes to get from Tonopah to Austin.

Sounds like I need to stop at Mina someday.

I stayed at the Soldier meadows ranch and been up thru High rock canyon before. Very nice area, which I need to get back to someday. Heck I need to go back to ‘everywhere’. If you need info for the Blackrock area, I can supply some.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:11 pm 

Leif Spring wrote:
If you need info for the Blackrock area, I can supply some.

Got the phone number for the guy that watches over the Fly Geyser handy? :lol: I drove to see it from Gerlach and found it under lock and key. I forget when, but sometime soon they are having a big to-do in Black Rock and they're offering tours of it. Of course it's a time I can't make it.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:40 pm 

GaryB wrote:
Got the phone number for the guy that watches over the Fly Geyser handy? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 am 

GaryB wrote:
.... Fly Geyser .... sometime soon they are having a big to-do in Black Rock and they're offering tours of it.

The Friends of Black Rock have a Rendezvous at least once a year, and most years (maybe all) they get inside the fence to Fly Geyser.

http://www.blackrockdesert.org/friends/ ... rendezvous

I like man-made geysers at least the ones I’ve been to, but I don’t go out of my way to see them.

Between the info I have collected over the years, plus the stuff I have learned of from locals in that part of Nv and info you have shared, I think I have more to do than time I have to do it. I have also found a lot of interesting (to me) stuff in neighboring areas if I need back-up stuff. If anyone thinks of more stuff in the area, it still a while before I head-out, so I’ll be back to check. 8)

I get the feeling this area may not be of interest to folks around here. When I get back if people would like to know what I found I may do a write-up if there seems to be interest. I used to do write-ups for most trips, but I’m not real good at it, and few seem to like them enough to make it worth doing.

THANKS again. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 am 

I wouldn't say it's not of interest, just few people from Vegas likely even know about the area or likely have the ability to travel in that area for extended time to become familiar with it. Which works both ways IMO, since many of these places are so awesome to visit simply because few do know they are there or it's too far for the riff raff to travel.

If I end up having to eat a day a month at work, I think I'll be doing a lot more 3 day weekend runs myself. Now if they'd just put in a gas station in Dyer, I'd be set.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 am 

GaryB wrote:
Between Berlin and the fossil site is the ruins of the town Union.

I found info on Union. Turns out I had the info all along. :shock: :lol: I have a Nevada Ghost town book (early 70’s as I recall) that I copied some pages out of to bring on our trip. I’ve been reading the pages as time permits, last night I read the Berlin-Union pages.

If you want, I can send the Berlin-Union pages to ya. They are about 5MB and 4 pages. Can I add an attachment to a PM? If I can’t, send me a PM with an email address and I’ll send them that way. Be warned they are not real good they are photographs because the book is too thick to photocopy. I had no problem reading them.