Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:04 am 

Hi All,
I wanted to share with everyone some information about an area I love. I keep getting drawn back to Esmeralda County for some reason. I first visted the area about 6 years ago after a BLM ranger suggested I go and do some exploring there. The entire county has less than a thousand people living in it and is the definition of remote but easy to get to from Vegas. There are still many, many areas I haven't gotten to yet and expect to go back often.

A few months ago, I started planning another camping trip there. This time, me and a couple of buds are going to take the ATVs out for 4 days and explore some of the old and long abandoned mining towns and camps. This is going to be a challenging trip as we have to live off the ATVs with no outside support. All food, fuel, water etc will have to be carried on the quads.

A few weeks ago, my 16 year old son was on spring break. He and a few of his friends (all of whom I have taken camping before) wanted to go camping for a few days. I decided to use this opportunity to do a little recon work and scout out the route to a couple of my planned ATV destinations. The Mohawk Mine was one of these. I have known about this place for a long time but never gone. This mine operated until the early sixties and was said to be very intact as it has had few visitors. I had no idea how true this was. The place is a time capsule right down to 45 year old newspapers still sitting on tables. We saw many other sites during this short trip and I wanted to share some pictures.

In case anyone is iterested, our 4 day trip is planned next month. We are leaving Vegas Thursday afternoon May 7 and will spend the night in Goldfield. The Sheriff is letting us park our rig in their lot. We will leave at dawn on Friday and return Monday late afternoon to be back in Vegas that evening. We are planning on camping at Mohawk Saturday night. If anyone wants to join us, we can meet in Silverpeak that morning and I can guide to the mine site. Here is a map of the route:

Pics of the Mohawk and surrounding area:

Here is an old ranch we came across on the way down the mountain:

Now we are heading to Nivloc. This is a super cool mine that shut down in the 20s

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 am 

That looks like an awesome place. :shock: Are you using a Delorme GPS? How do you like it?

Thanks for the great pics.

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am 

Cool, Thanks!

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:08 am 

that looks like a cool place to check out

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:25 pm 

A guy I work with, his dad is the part time deputy in Silver Peak. They moved there some time ago from North Las Vegas. Talk about down sizing. And I've been there 3 times myself, unfortunately no time to explore anything.

Esmeralda has has awesome sights, mainly due to it's remoteness. I've always wanted to hit up the Sylvania Mine off of SR266 west of Lida. Montezuma due west from Goldfield is another.

If you haven't seen them already, I listed some websites for ghost town/mine locations in the "trail guide & resource" forum on here.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:51 pm 

Great pics! This place has moved up on my "to do" list!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:38 pm 

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/silverpeak.html - Plenty of photos of the Mohawk.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/sylvania.html - Sylvania in winter of 2000. All of the photos are mine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm 

Yes, your pics and Cat's (Ripleysghosttowns) have had me drooling for Sylvania for some time. I'm hoping next spring will finally be the "next spring" that I can get up there.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4