It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rocky Gap Road
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 am 

Andy: You can also try Oatman, Az. Lotsa burros and old buildings

Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:11 pm 

Reading this posting I’m under the impression someone living in Pahrump is looking for a Ghost town within driving distance. What about Gold Point Nv?

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

I feel a little hesitant to mention this since it’s about 100 miles form Pahrump and would have been mentioned unless for reasons unknown to me it’s not a good place to go? Gold Point is not Bodie, but it’s close to Goldfield which is not a Ghost town per-say, but a GREAT old western town.

If you guys have reason to avoid Gold Point Nv, I would like to know. :wink:

Oatman is neat. If the Gold Road Mine is still doing tours, check it out.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:41 pm 

Leif Spring wrote:
Reading this posting I’m under the impression someone living in Pahrump is looking for a Ghost town within driving distance. What about Gold Point Nv?

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

I feel a little hesitant to mention this since it’s about 100 miles form Pahrump and would have been mentioned unless for reasons unknown to me it’s not a good place to go? Gold Point is not Bodie, but it’s close to Goldfield which is not a Ghost town per-say, but a GREAT old western town.

If you guys have reason to avoid Gold Point Nv, I would like to know. :wink:

Oatman is neat. If the Gold Road Mine is still doing tours, check it out.

I looked this Gold Point up and saw that there's a Memorial day bash going on at this little town. 100 miles is very close, so thanks so much. This looks like it's going to be a fun place to go. Also, that Goodsprings (thanks so much, Andy)... I think I went through there once and that bar was open. I had just come off of who-knows-what trail that started over by the boyscout camp, but it was getting late, so I didn't really see anything but a couple of biker chicks glaring at me from the porch of the bar so I split pretty quick. Anyway....

Thanks for the info!

When my tires aren't on the trail, my mind still is...

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:17 pm 

vswindling wrote:
I looked this Gold Point up and saw that there's a Memorial day bash going on at this little town. 100 miles is very close, ....

My Mistake it’s not 100 miles, :oops: I did a Delorme Street Atlas route check and it’s 140 miles from Pahrump to Goldpoint. I have been through the town and it’s looks interesting, but they didn’t have any food, so I have never stopped. I have heard the Memorial weekend event is GREAT with lots of food, but I have never been.

Have you been to Ash Meadows NWR? It’s not 4x4, but IMHO worth checking out. If you haven’t been, it’s about 25 miles from Pahrump. I think Bell Vista Ave/Rd (the road that goes to DV Junction) runs right to the south edge of the reserve, then its whatever miles you want to drive around the reserve, they have about 20 miles of roads (that a WAG on my part)

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm 

If haven't been there yet, Amargosa is worth a trip, and it's close to Pahrump. The Opera House is still active, the woman who reopened it sometime in the 60's has shows still. It's not a complete ghost town, but there are lots of sites to see if you do a little exploring.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:55 am 

Leif Spring wrote:
vswindling wrote:
I looked this Gold Point up and saw that there's a Memorial day bash going on at this little town. 100 miles is very close, ....

My Mistake it’s not 100 miles, :oops: I did a Delorme Street Atlas route check and it’s 140 miles from Pahrump to Goldpoint. I have been through the town and it’s looks interesting, but they didn’t have any food, so I have never stopped. I have heard the Memorial weekend event is GREAT with lots of food, but I have never been.

Have you been to Ash Meadows NWR? It’s not 4x4, but IMHO worth checking out. If you haven’t been, it’s about 25 miles from Pahrump. I think Bell Vista Ave/Rd (the road that goes to DV Junction) runs right to the south edge of the reserve, then its whatever miles you want to drive around the reserve, they have about 20 miles of roads (that a WAG on my part)

Hope this helps

I spend quite a bit of time running through Ash Meadows, but thanks so much for the info. :D I was surprised to see the reservoirs the first time I went through. As a native Floridian, I had a very warped sense of what the desert was all about, and have enjoyed finding the little surprises that exist here. The reservoirs at Ash Meadows were one. I don't go out so much for the 4x4ing as just for the exploring, and experiencing places and things that are off the beaten path. The views here are incredible. Not that I don't enjoy a good adrenaline rush that comes with being partially through a trail when I realize I've hit a rough spot and have to get myself out of it, but I'm just as happy to cruise a nice wide graded road if it gets me to a beautiful and peaceful spot.

I just live a couple of miles from Bell Vista, and it's a direct route into the preserve, but there's also a really nice drive into the preserve via Crystal, Nevada off 160. It's a nice wide, well-graded path that winds through some lovely hills and across a salt flat. I really enjoy that path. :-)

I've been lurking and watching as you discuss your planned trip... sounds like so much fun. I haven't done much exploring up there yet... I'm completely fascinated with Death Valley and have spent a lot of time there, but as it's getting hot enough to melt the tires off a truck, I'm thinking it might be time to head a little further north for exploration. I hope you'll keep us abreast of your travels and link some pictures of your findings.

And thanks so much for sharing the trail info... I'm always glad for new places to explore!

Blessings!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:03 am 

GaryB wrote:
If haven't been there yet, Amargosa is worth a trip, and it's close to Pahrump. The Opera House is still active, the woman who reopened it sometime in the 60's has shows still. It's not a complete ghost town, but there are lots of sites to see if you do a little exploring.

You know, I haven't really been there, at least not to visit. I've driven by a number of times on the way to DV, but have never made it a destination. Someone told me about the lady that owns the opera house when I first got here, and I've been meaning to go check her out, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I should get around to it before it's too late and I've missed the opportunity. It's funny, there are a lot of little places that are "not a complete ghost town" but very close. "Population 9" is an odd concept to a native east-coaster who is used to wall-to-wall people, but I love that there are people with the grit and determination to be one of a few residents left holding on to history and not giving in.

Thanks so much for sharing the info!

Blessings!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:06 pm 

Is this Rocky Gap, AKA Potato Ridge? (between A and B)

This is a no go on a stock setup?

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys
35 x 13.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers
LOD mid-width front bumper
Shrockworks rear bumper/carrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 am 

it can be done stock.

and even with mudflaps.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

it really depends on the vehicle. a stock wrangler with some good spotting would make it. however vickie drives a stock tahoe on what are more street then off road tires which is why i said she shouldn't try it. wrong tires and too much overhang in the rear and not enough height to get up the waterfalls. why destroy a vehicle just to say you made it over a trail you never should have been on. or have to call someone to get your rig unstuck because you were on a trail you shouldn't have been on. and it's a long walk off that trail to find a spot where you can get a cell phone signal to call for help. i was not just saying the trail wasn't stock friendly, i was saying it wasn't friendly for vickie's particular vehicle. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:07 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
it really depends on the vehicle. a stock wrangler with some good spotting would make it. however vickie drives a stock tahoe on what are more street then off road tires which is why i said she shouldn't try it. wrong tires and too much overhang in the rear and not enough height to get up the waterfalls. why destroy a vehicle just to say you made it over a trail you never should have been on. or have to call someone to get your rig unstuck because you were on a trail you shouldn't have been on. and it's a long walk off that trail to find a spot where you can get a cell phone signal to call for help. i was not just saying the trail wasn't stock friendly, i was saying it wasn't friendly for vickie's particular vehicle. 8)

Good info Brad...and understood.
I'm looking for a short run to go out with 2 other stock 4 dr JKs. One with years of wheeling experience, but brand new rig on stock rims/tires (31's I think). Other is same setup, but driver has never gone offroad.

Recommendations? I thought this trail had bypasses for all the tough obstacles. Don't want to risk it though if it's going to be a challenge.

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 pm 

coming down there's also that switchback where the creek is....that place has some big rocks that would make it really difficult for some that have never been off-road before.

I don't know that I would take any that has never been off-road driving to Rocky Gap.

but that's me.

I would think a better first off-road driving experience would be Bitter Springs or the Desert Range.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

i agree with jj, potato road is not the trail to take someone that has never drivien offroad before. it can be quite intimidating for a newbie. i used to use it as a kind of graduation trail for newbies i'd worked with for at least 6 months to a year. the rock garden has 2 routes: the hard side and the harder side. the hard side is a level 2.5 on a good day and a level 3 most days, the harder side is at least a 3.5 tickleing a 4. and there are no go arounds for all the obsticles, once in you are commited. it's your call but i would not take a 1st timer on that trail for their first ever 4x4 experiance. i like to take 1st timers out behind frenchman's mountain and run lava butte, rainbow gardens, and kodacrome. great teaching trails and rate no more then level 1.5. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:40 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
i agree with jj, potato road is not the trail to take someone that has never drivien offroad before. it can be quite intimidating for a newbie. i used to use it as a kind of graduation trail for newbies i'd worked with for at least 6 months to a year. the rock garden has 2 routes: the hard side and the harder side. the hard side is a level 2.5 on a good day and a level 3 most days, the harder side is at least a 3.5 tickleing a 4. and there are no go arounds for all the obsticles, once in you are commited. it's your call but i would not take a 1st timer on that trail for their first ever 4x4 experiance. i like to take 1st timers out behind frenchman's mountain and run lava butte, rainbow gardens, and kodacrome. great teaching trails and rate no more then level 1.5. 8)

good info...I'm pretty much 'nixing the Potato Ridge idea.
Is there a link to those other trails somewhere? A thread I may have missed?

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

depending on where in town you live you 1st have to get to north nellis blvd and east lake mead blvd. this is the lake mead that goes thru the north side of town not the lake mead that is also called st. rose pkwy on the south side of town. from nellis and lake mead head east up the hill like you're going to the lake. you'll twist and turn your way to where pabco road braches off to the left. ahead you'll see high power lines crossing the road and underneath them is a pull out on the right with a sign board showing the trails. i usually run lave butte south, it's graded powerline road mostly, then cut over and run rainbow gardens back north, it's also graded road. just past the gardens is the branch to the left that is middle wash trail which turns into wheeling in a wash bottom and connects to kodacrome where i turn left and head south. kodacrome is more of a 2 track jeep trail that is fun and not too tough. it drops you out down by the las vegas wash wetlands area and you can pick up hollywood to vegas valley and back to nellis. let me know when you guys are going and if i'm free i'll be glad to lead you. 8)

NVBROFC