Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 pm 

Was looking for a nice Saturday drive with son and gf...maybe picnic on the shore somewhere.

Is Stewart's Point Rd. legal backroad still?
Looks like there are a few good spots down there where we could get close to the water.

-chris

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys
35 x 13.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers
LOD mid-width front bumper
Shrockworks rear bumper/carrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

my maps show it's an approved trail, nps#103, but i haven't been up that way lately and can't say for sure if it's open or not. echo wash used to be a drive to the water but as the lake as receeded the tamarisk has taken over and now you stop about a mile from the water and need a machette to get to it. boathouse cove, nps#97, will get you to the water and it a fun drive ina jeep. it's just past red stones and before echo wash off of north shore drive. if you stop at the alan bible visitor center, just before hitting the fee station from the boulder city side, ask the front desk for the "lake mead nra approved backcountry roads maps". there's 4 of them and they're free and show all the approved trails on the nevada and arizona side all the way to laughlin. enjoy 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:04 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
my maps show it's an approved trail, nps#103, but i haven't been up that way lately and can't say for sure if it's open or not. echo wash used to be a drive to the water but as the lake as receeded the tamarisk has taken over and now you stop about a mile from the water and need a machette to get to it. boathouse cove, nps#97, will get you to the water and it a fun drive ina jeep. it's just past red stones and before echo wash off of north shore drive. if you stop at the alan bible visitor center, just before hitting the fee station from the boulder city side, ask the front desk for the "lake mead nra approved backcountry roads maps". there's 4 of them and they're free and show all the approved trails on the nevada and arizona side all the way to laughlin. enjoy 8)

Thanks Brad. I called NPS and they said it was approved but nothing goes down to the shore anymore. It's a nice drive through Valley of Fire, so I'll check it out and report back. If it's nothing special, maybe we'll pull out and try Boat House Cove.

-chris

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:53 pm 

jiggawha wrote:
Was looking for a nice Saturday drive with son and gf...maybe picnic on the shore somewhere.

Looks like there are a few good spots down there where we could get close to the water.

-chris

Hey Chis, why don't you join us on the run down Electric Ave if you're talking about this Saturday, 03-14-09. Its an awesome trail with spectacular views!!! Just ask anyone who has done it. One of the areas best scenic trails if you ask me. We will be going to the lake, Mojave and not Mead, then heading back toward Nelson via Copper Canyon.

Here's the LINK if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:14 am 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
jiggawha wrote:

-chris

Hey Chis, why don't you join us on the run down Electric Ave if you're talking about this Saturday, 03-14-09. Its an awesome trail with spectacular views!!! Just ask anyone who has done it. One of the areas best scenic trails if you ask me. We will be going to the lake, Mojave and not Mead, then heading back toward Nelson via Copper Canyon.

Here's the LINK if you are interested.

I saw that thread Joe...gf had a morning appt. yesterday, so we couldn't head out til around 11.
Went through Valley of Fire to get there. The road to Stewart's Point was easy enough for cars to drive on. The first spot we found was very easily accessible and I got the Jeep right down to the water. Good spot for fishing or even camping.
We headed South down the coast along a series of trails that other people had created. Some of the river rock areas were pretty loose and I wouldn't have taken anything without 4wd through. Lots of cool spots we saw.

After leaving we headed back down towards Lake Mead Blvd and I saw at least another 8-10 approved roads that go down. I was looking for Boathouse Cove, but wasn't sure which one it was. It was getting late, so we decided to head back another time and explore other roads to the lake.

I'll put some pics up later.

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

glad to hear you guys had a good day and found water. just so you know, any trail you see in the lake mead nra that has a carsonite sign at the trailhead with a yellow arrow with a number in it is an approved trail. no yellow arrow and it's out of bounds and a biggggg fine if you get caught. wheel smart and wheel safe. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:55 am 

Bummer you couldn't make it on the run to Electric Ave, etc with us Saturday, but I'm glad you got out and had some fun at the lake when you did have the chance.

Another time I'm sure... :wink:

I'll be looking for the pics!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
glad to hear you guys had a good day and found water. just so you know, any trail you see in the lake mead nra that has a carsonite sign at the trailhead with a yellow arrow with a number in it is an approved trail. no yellow arrow and it's out of bounds and a biggggg fine if you get caught. wheel smart and wheel safe. 8)

I was looking at that...but when you get down to the lake area, the roads just kind of span out and there's really no "designated" line to follow. I was just staying on what looked like the most traveled tracks.

There were dozens of trucks and campers scattered along the coast line in various spots. It seemed people just go to where they can and set up camp.

Are there any campfire restrictions down there? We might go down and do a 2 day camp out with friends soon.

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

you can check with the fee station when you enter the park regarding campfires. i see lots of people that use exsisting fire rings so i'd guess those are cool. but check to be sure. 8)

NVBROFC