Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:23 pm 

Has anyone here done Trail Canyon on the west side of Death Valley? There are a string of canyons off West Side Road that look interesting. According to the Mitchell book (I don't think he's always that technically accurate, but he mixes nice info on geology and history with his trail guides), Trail Canyon is supposed to be relatively easy, with only a litte easy class 3 on the entire run.

I drove about a mile up the alluvial fan; looks like fun. I also discovered that, while back-country permits are not required by the NPS, you can get them, and they will actually come looking for you if you don't show back up by your self-appointed return date/time. That makes it a little more friendly for solo runs if ya can't find someone else willing to go.

There's supposed to be good camping up there at Tarantula Mine, so I'm thinking it might be a fun trip for me and my boy.

Maybe somebody out there is interested in a day run to check it out.

Vick

When my tires aren't on the trail, my mind still is...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 pm 

I haven't done the Trail Canyon leg, but I did do the trail up to and around the Queen of Sheba Mine at the south end of West Side Road. It was really rocky and slow moving, but nothing hard from what I remember.

I've done a lot of trails throughout Death Valley. Even done some camping in Jan and in Aug. There is so much to see and do out there that's for sure.

Just post the day you want to go out there, make sure it's not going to conflict with other posted runs, and see who shows interest. There may be someone, who know unless you post it up... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:00 am 

Im always up for a run and camping.

Look forward to the post.

Marla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:57 pm 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
...I've done a lot of trails throughout Death Valley. Even done some camping in Jan and in Aug. There is so much to see and do out there that's for sure.

Yes, there is so much to see there. I want to try to get some runs in before summer, which I'm sure is not the best time to be in Death Valley. lol

Marla/Dori wrote:
Im always up for a run and camping.

Look forward to the post.

Marla

Excellent! I'm going to check the calendar and see what I can squeeze in around the first part of Feb.

Vick

When my tires aren't on the trail, my mind still is...