Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Campsite at Temple Bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:42 pm 

Howdy,
Just thought I'd share. Here's big gas grill; Kelty Cabana(we hide supplies & booze); Eureka 10x10 for two; & 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee(limited)V8(stock) with Old Town Tandem Kayak 15'. at Temple Bar 11-28-08.

ImageSelf-Pay Station(I'm a disabled vet so $5 p/night)

ImageTemle Bar Bathrooms with flush toilets

ImageLooking north to Nevada Gold Butte Area(Haystacks & boat docks)

ImageSunset from Temple Bar

ImageThe Temple at Temple Bar, looking north towards the Southern End of Gold Butte area

ImageTemple Bar Campground. Last time we stayed in site 33.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)
I'm dysfunctional but my camera works!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the info! It's nice to learn about new campsites relatively close to Vegas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 pm 

Howdy Wildhare,

Maybe new to you, but I went camping there back in the 50s & 60s with my folks when I was a little fox. Drive out there and check it out. It's paved all the way. From 21 miles east of the dam traffic turn left on Temple Bar Road. Once you cross over Householder Pass on SR93 the road widens to four lanes, people speed up on the four-lane. Keep your speed down cause there isn't much room for the left turn pull-out lane(like at kyle canyon). Then it is exactly 25 miles of empty paved road to Temple Bar. You will see a sign that says "fee area" but don't believe it. There is no fee for entering the lake in Arizona! The water is like glass much of the year! The dirt road to Boneli Bay or Landing is good enough, I've seen 2-wheel trucks there. The road to Arch Mountain or the back road to Gregg's Hideout is 4x4 all the way and many times is air out, air in. Enjoy! You've seen my rig now, come say howdy when you see me there. I'll make you the best expresso in the field you ever have had! RVs can get in there easy but there's no hook ups. Dump station and water station both good! When you get there and look north, you will be looking at the south end of Gold Butte Wilderness area, in Nevada!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 am 

That's true, new to me. I havn't had that much time to put into exploring in the immediate area - school plus work = busy.

Is this the correct Temple Bar Road turnoff you were talking about?

If that's true, is this Gregg's Hideout?

Thanks!

-Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:35 pm 

Howdy Wildhare,

Yes, this is the correct Temple Bar Turn-off. Be sure you are on SR93 heading to Kingman. Go past Willow Beach Turn-off and go up the grade(that's Householder Pass) and continue onto SR93 a couple of more miles, The road divides into four lanes. About 2 miles from where SR93 divides into 4 lanes, there will a sign on the right that says: Temple Bar 1 mile. The turn off will be on your left. It's not much, just a wide spot in the road. You can't miss it, if your looking. Turn left and drive exactly 25 miles and you will be at Temple Bar. Stay on the blacktop. There are a few dirt roads that lead else where. The speed is 50 mph which is slow for that hwy(no traffic). I travel it 60 mph on flat areas. After 17.5 miles the road gets curvy and those signs for curves are good info. It's easy to drive fast, but don't. Troopers don't run this road, but don't bet on it, sometimes they do.

The roadway(easy way) to Gregg's Hideout is to stay on SR93 past the dam for 42 miles to Dolan Springs. Gas up at Dolan Springs(store there is a blast)! Turn left on SR25(Piercre Ferry Rd) drive some. As soon as you enter Hualapai Valley there is an intersection of SR20(Stockton Rd) continue on SR25. One mile or so there is another intersection, you will be turning left here. The intersection is Gregg's Hideout Rd(to the left & dirt) and on the right is Antares Rd also dirt. Turn left on Gregg's Hideout Rd. It is now dirt road until the Lake which is about 20 miles. Beautiful Country. You will drive through a Joshua Tree Wilderness that has trees bigger than the one you'll find at the National Park, Joshua Tree. It is very remote! If you stay on the pavement eventually the road turns to the left and contines to Lake Mead City and Pierce Ferry.

There is a back road from Temple Bar to Gregg's Hideout that is 4x4 and air out, air in in many places, and a lot of turns have to be made. DON'T GO THIS WAY! It is tricky and you can get lost easy or stuck! Wait and I'll probably do a fun run in March 09, it's been 25 years since I've been on that misleading trail. See, I'm already commiting and I haven't even done a run with you guys & gals yet! Also am thinking of doing a fun run in May to Ft Piute via the old mohave trail and that's air out & in too I do that every year for the wildflowers, just before the heat sets in.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)