Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:08 pm 

For those interested in attending, we will be staying at Villas at Poco Diablo, 1752 Highway 179, PO Box 2252, Sedona AZ, 86339. We will be out front at 0900. A RSVP would be nice so we know how many to look for on each day. My intent is not to lead a run but rather to travel as a group. If you want to lead, that is fine by me. I can be reached at jrhuey@cox.net or by phone at 619-301-9039. If it goes to voice mail leave a message and I will get back to you. As I get some RSVP's I'll update the earlier post. JimH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 pm 

We'll be in Pomona, Calif at the Off Road Expo on the 4th of Oct if someone wants to do a meet and greet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:01 am 

thanks for the info on where to meet.
will be driving up saturday am, work until 8pm on friday and the drive is too long after 3rd 12-hour shift at U-ncontrolled M-ass C-haos.
plan on seeing ya sunday at 9am in front of Poco Diablo.
will be in contact when in town saturday to confirm meet up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 pm 

Hi,
Still planning for Tues. and Wed.
Will be at the Villas at 9am.
Will be in Pomona, but probably on Friday, if this
changes, I will let you know.
Thanks. STEVE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:00 am 

I've been told that to park at some destinations/trailheads you will need a Red Rock Pass. A weekly pass is $15 an annual pass is $20. I bought an annual pass from this link -

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-an ... hase.shtml

It will direct you to an online option or phone option. There are many "self serve" vending machines available to purchase the Red Rock Pass at so it isn't mandatory to buy it ahead of time.

Here is some additional info from another Jeeper -
"I’ve gone to Sedona every year for the past 4 to 5 years during Easter break. All the runs are doable with your vehicle. The only trail you’ll probably really want another vehicle with you on is Smiley Rock. That trail and Mingus Mtn can be difficult also to navigate so if you have a GPS bring it and put in the way points ahead of time. Schnelby Hill Rd may or may not be open all the way through. It’s a nice drive on a wide graded dirt road. A couple of miles into the road just past Carosel Rock there is a gate the Forest Service locks occasionally. Make sure you get a week long Red Rock Pass. Also, the Jeep Tour groups are all over the trails close to Sedona especially Broken Arrow and Soldier Pass. There is limited room to pass so keep an eye out for them coming the other way."

Some more info -
Q - Someone mentioned a Red Rocks Pass. Did you have one and where would be a good place to get one if you did have one? Also, What do you think about the time I have allotted for each trail? Too much? Or to little? We have never been there so I just estimated the times. I want to leave enough time to enjoy the sights. TIA - JimH
A - Your times were probably a little generous. But since it is your first time you will want to get out and take some pictures for sure. The first time that I was there was last January for a long weekend. We liked it so much that we bought a timeshare there! Once we came back we booked a week long trip for the fall. I got my red rocks pass at the condo where I was staying, Sedona Summit. Where are you staying? You can also get them from "vending machines" at a few of the trail heads. I know that you can get them at the trail head to Van Deren Cabin. Make sure to go to the Wildfower Bread Company too. It's located in the Hyatt Center. Great food and a great view of the red rocks. You can grab sandwiches both there and New Frontiers market for the trail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:00 pm 

We're planning on making this one, at least for Saturday & Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 pm 

I'll be packing the truck and Jeep up tomorrow Thursday 11/6. If anyone has any questions please feel free to call me at 619-301-9039 or send me an email at jrhuey@cox.net. We plan on leaving Friday morning around 0300...Hopefully. Not a God aweful time for a shiftworker!! :lol: Take Care Until Then - JimH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:17 pm 

I believe if you have a National Parks Pass, you can get a Red Rock Pass free if you stop in at a Forest Service Office. They have one on 179 south of 89A

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-and-permits/index.shtml

2011 JKU Rubicon. Completely stock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:57 pm 

Just have a few more things to pack in the AM and will be on the road tomorrow AM

We'll be getting into Sedona sometime tomorrow evening. Wanda has made reservations as the same hotel Beth is staying at.

My cell number is 702-539-0475.

We'll be going through Williams AZ, taking a dirt county road to Jerome and then to Sedona.

See you all Sat AM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:01 am 

We had a great time and it certianly was a lot of fun to get lost in the snow at night on a trail that none of us had ever been on with a bunch of good friends. They make beer commercials about stuff like this.. :lol:

Hope ya'll had a good time.

See ya next time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am 

I'm going to Sedona Thanksgiving. Can anyone suggest a trail I could run in my stock jeep. I would like an all day run.

Thanks

Marla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:23 pm 

Marla,

Smiley Rock is a all day adventrue, and do-able in a stock jeep. But not alone, and not without good map reading skills. Determining the trail is the hardest and the directions provided in the Wells book are marginal. It is a longer version of Potato Ridge....with a rock garden in the middle and a challenge to decifer the directions to get back off the mountian toward the end. We had snow last weekend, by turkey day it will likely be plentifull.

Greasy Spoon, is a do-able trail in a stock jeep, but only a half day run. If it is wet it would be more interesting.

We did part of Oak Creek Homestead and that one as far as we explored is stock friendly, but we were not able to get all of the trail. Again, it is not an all day adventure.

You could combine Oak Creek & Greasy Spoon and get a good all day trip with a little pavement in the middle.

Those are the rails that I/we ran that I can speek for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 am 

I'd like to thank all that came out for this trip. We had a great time meeting and wheeling with everyone. I'll have a run report out in a couple days. Been crazy busy since we got back. I have learned a few things from this trip. No matter how prepared you think you are there will be some changes to your plans. Also, you CAN get lost with a GPS and paper maps. It was a great group to wheel with and we can't wait to do it again! Stay tuned for pics and videos - to be posted soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 am 

Sedona Run Report –

Day 1 started out with a short visit to the Chapel of the Holy Cross, a church built into the side of the mountains back in the 1950’s. Not a place to wheel but interesting none the less. Second on the list for the day was to be an easy short .75 mile hike up to bottom of Devils Arch but ended up being a difficult 2 mile hike to the top the arch where if you were bold enough you could walk onto the arch itself. We had some in the group walk onto the arch to get their pic taken but it isn’t for the faint of heart or for those with vertigo. After our hike back down to our Jeeps we ran Greasy Spoon which is a moderate trail which could probably be done in a stock Jeep.

Day 2 had us scheduled to run Smiley Rock and Mingus Mountain. As it turned out Smiley Rock took us all day to run. Yes the rock looks just like it does in the book. We all had our pics taken in front of the rock (we did drive a long way to get to see it after all) and made our way over a couple of rock gardens. A stock Jeep could probably make it over the rock gardens with good spotting and maybe a tug or two but I would recommend at least 33inch tires and a low gear to get across. Once we made it thru the rock gardens and got to the top of the mountain it was starting to get dark and snowing great big snowflakes along with thunder and lighting. We got about a half inch of snow while we tried to find our way to Potatoe Patch Campground. My GPS at this point showed no roads and we had several roads to choose from. After going down the wrong trails a couple of times we finally got on the right trail to the campground. It was a great group effort with everyone providing great input to get back to the campground where we aired back up and proceed back down to Sedona thru Jerome.

Day 3 had some returning home and the rest of us were on our own. I myself broke an AC belt on my Silverado and had to get that fixed. I ended up taking it to Tire Pro Automotive a great little shop in Sedona where it cost me $80 to get replaced. $20 for the belt and $60 for labor, which I thought was reasonable given where I was at. We ended up doing some shopping for souvenirs while the truck was getting repaired.

Day 4 had us on Schnebly Hill and Hutch Mountain. These are two easy trails that any stock high clearance vehicle can do. We even saw a couple of cars on Schnebly Hill. Must have been rentals! Schnebly Hill has some great views while Hutch Mountain takes you thru some Ponderosa Pines past Stoneman Lake to a mountain top look out tower. The tower was locked but we climbed as high as we could to take advantage of the great views the tower provided. The day ended in Flagstaff with a great late lunch at a small brewery in an original downtown building which used to house a market. The food was great as well as the beer which is brewed on sight.

Day 5 had us out on Broken Arrow, Sedona’s premiere trail which is adopted by Pink Jeep Tours. I was surprised at how Jeepy the trail was, given that they run the Pink Jeeps up and down it all day with passengers in the back. I wouldn’t take a stock Jeep on it but if you are sitting on 33inch tires and have a low gear you should do fine. Broken Arrow took us about a half day to complete with stops along the way to take pictures at which point some needed an early start for their return trip home while others needed some down time from all the running from the last few days. My wife and I went on to see the Palatki and Honanki Indian Ruins, an easy but worthwhile trip. On our return trip down FR525 we were treated to a beautiful full moon over the desert landscape.

Day 6 we were to meet a couple of people to return to Flagstaff for some shopping but found ourselves chomping at the bit to see more of what Sedona had to offer so we begged off of the shopping trip and went to see Montezuma Well, Montezuma Castle and Tuzigoot National Monument. You can easily see all of these in one day and if you start early enough you can also see the V-V Petroglyph Site. On our return trip to our condo we had to pass by the turn off for Soldiers Pass. It was late in the day, the sun was starting to wan, the trail rated moderate to adventurous. I looked at my wife and asked “One more trail??” She said “Heck Ya!!” and off we went. Soldiers Pass is a short, fairly easy trail with two interesting architectural features. Seven Sacred Pools and Devils Kitchen, a rather large sinkhole. We stopped at both, took some pictures and returned to our condo tired but glad we stopped.

Here are a couple of recommendations for places to eat. Savannahs. A great steak house but be ready for $40 steaks and $10 beers. A cheaper alternative is the Olde Sedona Bar and Grill. We ate there twice and got out for $60 which included tip, meal for the both of us, two beers and two margaritas. Likewise Angels Mexican Restaurant found us there twice also and has good fresh Mexican food and you can get out for $60 which includes tip, meal for two, two beers and two margaritas. Look for a converted Pizza Hut restaurant. All three places are easy to find on Highway 89A.

All in all we had a great time, met a lot of great people, ran a lot of great trails and seen a lot of great sights and can’t wait to get back to Sedona again next year. Thanks to all who came. See you all on the trails again sometime soon!!
:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:47 am 

Thanks for the update on your trip. I enjoy reading about the different runs. Now I am excited about going to Sedona over Turkey day weekend!! Have not decided which run to do.....

Again, thanks it is always nice to read about the runs!

Marla