Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 am 

We would like to explore Crystal pass a little better , and Bonanza wash. Meet at Jean at 9:00 , roll at 9:30 , at the gas station next to Nevada Landing. See you there . Maybe we can find some Crystals. Rex :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:14 pm 

Sounds like fun. I'll be there!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:31 pm 

I will be there.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:46 pm 

Bill & Gary hope to attend.

Post subject: Misc Google references
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:38 pm 

Misc things found on Internet regarding mines.

Goodsprings District
The Goodsprings district lies in the Spring Mountains of southern Nevada. Although less famous than many of the other mining districts of the Great Basin it nevertheless ranks second only to Tonapah in total lead and zinc production from Nevada. During World War I the district was one of the most productive in the West, but by the end of World War II only a few mines remained in operation. By the late 1950's all operations had ceased. In recent years, renewed activity has centered on some of the gold mines in the district.
Stratigraphy
The sedimentary rocks in the district range in age from Upper Cambrian to Recent. The Paleozoic section includes the Cambrian Bonanza King and Nopah Formations, the Devonian Sultan, Mississippian Monte Cristo Limestone, Pennsylvanian/Mississippian Bird Spring Formation and Permian Kaibab Limestone (Carr, 1987). The Mesozoic section is comprised only of the Triassic Moenkopi and Chinle Formations and an upper Mesozoic unit of uncertain age termed the Lavinia Wash Formation. The Paleozoic rocks are dominantly carbonates while the Mesozoic units are continental clastics. Tertiary rocks include gravels and minor volcanic tuffs.
Only two varieties of intrusive rocks are known in the district. The most abundant is granite porphyry which forms three large sill-like masses (Hewett, 1931). The sills generally lie near major thrust faults and are thought to have been emplaced along breccia zones at the base of the upper plate of the thrust fault. Locally, small dikes of basaltic composition and uncertain age have been encountered in some of the mine workings. Mid Tertiary felsic volcanics, a ubiquitous constituent of most Cordilleran mining districts, are rare in the Goodsprings District.
GOODSPRINGS
Silver and lead discovered in 1868 but little was done until 1886 when new discoveries led to the formation of Goodsprings. Named for Joseph Good, a mineral from the Eldorado Canyon who was with a group of prospectors that made the original discoveries. Population grew to 200 by the mid 1890s. Activity continued and the mines had their first $1 million + year in 1912. Town declined in the early 1920s but production continued through the 1930s. The mines were active again during the 1950s and total production stands at more than $30 million. The tiny town still exists today.

Sultan Mine, Clark County, Nevada.
A group of 12 zinc-lead claims in the Goodsprings district of southern Nevada. Five miles southwest of Goodsprings. Located in 1896, but the bulk of ore shipments occurred from 1910 to 1926.

Sultan Limestone
The Sultan limestone is a Middle Devonian massive, finely crystalline limestone, crystalline dolomite, thin bedded bleached linestone, and chert. It is locally fossiliferous. The type locality is near the Sultan Mine, Goodsprings District, Nevada. The Sultan limestone is common in many eastern Mojave Desert ranges; Providence Mountains -- Devil's Playground area (DeCourten, 1979).
HEDYPHANE 8885 Singer Mine, Goodsprings, Nevada
Minute orange sharp crystals scattered on a 1 cm area on green copper mineral, good color contrast.
Purchased part of the W. and A. Cook mineral collection 8/16/2007 and sales stock (Virgin Valley Minerals) from Cincinnati, Ohio. Much of it consisted of quite rare minerals. My prices are based on their prices on their labels. (Virgin Mining label)
3.3x2.6x1.2 cm, 10.3 grams. Miniature size, very good Micromount potential (under higher magnification)