Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 am 

You are correct sir, yes. We can't camp beyond Tea Kettle Junction to the Racetrack. Anywhere else up there is fine. There is also no gas at Scotties Castle any more so fill up down at the main station. Bring extra if needed. Also, the trail across Funeral Range has 2 down waterfalls that aren't friendly to vehicles with long over hangs on the back such as pickups. FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am 

I say we camp up Hunter mountain for the cooler temps. I am still trying to figure out how to make it -my sons birthday is the 31st so it depends on what we plan for that. As soon as momma gets home from NYC then I will know for sure if I can make it or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:11 pm 

N2Deep wrote:
I say we camp up Hunter mountain for the cooler temps. I am still trying to figure out how to make it -my sons birthday is the 31st so it depends on what we plan for that. As soon as momma gets home from NYC then I will know for sure if I can make it or not.

Sounds good to me camping up on Hunter Mtn. Oh, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can make it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:36 am 

I can't make it Friday, but I think I can come up on Saturday. Please try to figure out where I can meet you. I can leave Vegas fairly early on Saturday morning.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:58 am 

GeoJeep Tom wrote:
I can't make it Friday, but I think I can come up on Saturday. Please try to figure out where I can meet you. I can leave Vegas fairly early on Saturday morning.

We will be meeting at Nevada Joe's North on SR95 to Amargosa route 373. It is on the right hand side as you're heading north. If I remember correctly, the building is PINK, so you can't miss it. We will be meeting at 8 am for the run through the Funeral Range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:55 am 

So I then checked the weather and saw that it will still be very, very, very hot Labor Day weekend in Death Valley. I'm thinking winter may be a more favorable time for me to take a trip out there...hmmm.

Last edited by Lucy on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 pm 

Cool cool! Hope to see ya up there Tom.
Yeah, what Joe said. we'll get there by 8ish and hit the trail asap.
Tom, you're welcome to join us camping out there on Hunter or around the racetrack area if you please Sat night.
The way it's looking a few of us will be leaving Fri afternoon to camp on Chloride for the night then meet up at NV Joe's for the Sat run across the Funeral Range. after that us campers are heading north to the racetrack region for the night probably up on Hunter mtn then back south over the mountain Sun and home. We might do an extra trail along the way. Who knows.
Anyone is free to join anytime they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:27 pm 

Hey Al and Craig, when can you leave on Friday afternoon? or are you planning a Saturday morning jaunt up to Nevada Joe's? Sheila and I figure by the time we get home, more her than me, we could meet between 5-5:30 pm at the Chevron/McDonald's east of 95 on Ann Rd where we usually meet when heading that direction.

We may have to do a little night wheelin' to the Cliffs, but I have the tracks to make it there so it should be fun none-the-less. I was figuring that we'd drive to Beatty to fill up, then head toward Hell's Gate and go to the Clliffs from there. The trail is really fun the way we went up the last time.

So, that's where I'm at anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:36 pm 

Joe - I can leave anytime after probably 4 ish on Friday so the 5:00-5:30pm meeting time will work for me.

Refresh my memory again - No dogs allowed, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:46 pm 

afhanson72 wrote:
Joe - I can leave anytime after probably 4 ish on Friday so the 5:00-5:30pm meeting time will work for me.

Refresh my memory again - No dogs allowed, right?

Unfortunately, no dogs are allowed on the backcountry roads/trails within the National Park. I didn't have a choice, but I took Lincoln the time Craig and I went. He's smaller and just layed in the back and when the Ranger past, he didn't see him. :o Got lucky!!

Cool, on the time for meeting thus far. We just need to hear from Craig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 pm 

I can meet whenever - just trying to decide on what I am doing. Its gonna be hella hot. What is the plan for food? Are we doing the norm- prepare one meal or bring our own?

I'm down just let me know what to bring and when to show up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:39 pm 

Quote:
Its gonna be hella hot

Anyone got room for a swamp cooler??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:03 pm 

afhanson72 wrote:
Quote:
Its gonna be hella hot

Anyone got room for a swamp cooler??

Just bring a big block of ice to sleep on. :P I really don't think it's going to be that bad. Last time we went camping it was around the 5600 ft mark and it was cool, very comfortable at night. Maybe it will be fairly cool during our campout. One could hope anyway. :wink:

I think we should do the one meal thing, breakfast and dinner, and we're on our own for lunch. I'm sure we'll get it all ironed out once we know who all is going for sure and get a head count.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51 am 

Well, Craig has to go so he can make Tacos and peach cobbler!!

Right, Craig?

Steve should make carne asada, since it was great last time.

Anyone else have any requests for the rest of us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:29 am 

right.
I will probably head up earlier since I won't be getting off work for some sunset photo ops, of course. Craig, if you want to go up early with me let me know and we'll hook up. I was thinking about 2-3ish. That said I'll go ahead and take care of dinner Fri night and have it closeto ready by the time the rest of you show up so you don't have to worry about that as well as setting up tents etc. Joe, I believe, volunteered for a quickie breakfast Sat morn before we head out leaving Sat night dinner and Sun breakfast up for grabs. Well, I should say Sun breakfast up for grabs since Craig will be making tacos and cobbler Sat :wink:
As far as I know it's only going to be Al, Craig, Joe, and Sheila camping with Tom possibly joining us for the Funeral Range trail since Lucy grew chicken feathers suddenly :D :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next