Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:46 am 

UPDATED INFO

I'm planning a primitive camping trip to Death Valley leaving Vegas Fri Aug 31 and spending the night up at Chloride Cliffs then going down to Inyo mine Sat morning for some exploration via Funeral Range. We'll meet down at 8am Sat at Nevada Joes at the turn off from 95 to Amargosa for the trail head.This way we'll have some good wheelin as well as some exploration. It's a really nice run across the range. After Inyo we'll slowly head up to the racetrack area to spend the night near by then head out one of the south routes that drops near hwy 190 (I think). Sat night we might find higher ground to camp depending on the weather. This, for the most part isn't going to be a hard core wheeling trip but more just slow exploration. Let me know if you're interested.
More info will be posted as we get closer and find out who's coming re: when we're leaving Fri eve for the camping up on the cliff.

Last edited by sunrunner on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:12 pm 

Could camp near the top of Hunter mountain- should be cooler up there. After the racetrack we could backtrack to teakettle junction and then up to Hunter mountain to camp for the evening. Then I think it is about 25 miles to HWY 190.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:44 pm 

N2Deep wrote:
Could camp near the top of Hunter mountain- should be cooler up there. After the racetrack we could backtrack to teakettle junction and then up to Hunter mountain to camp for the evening. Then I think it is about 25 miles to HWY 190.

Does "WE" mean that you are going, Craig? That would be cool, cause it's been a long time since we've wheeled together and DV is one of our favorite places to go.

I should be into my new temporary place by then, I hope, so I should be able to make it. I've got the tracks for Chloride Cliffs, Racetrack, Lippencot, and the way Craig and I went through Golier Wash and Mengel Pass. Sorry if my spelling of these places is off. Usually I open my TOPO to check, but I'm being lazy right now. :P If everything works out to the plan in my head, I will be going.

Sounds like a fun time that's for sure and camping up on Chloride Cliffs sounds sweet!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:01 am 

yeah i plan on going but you know sometimes things come up at the last minute. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

I hope to get back to Alamo as soon as it cools off so make sure you plan for camping out there again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 am 

Ok..Steve, where is the picture of the newly lifted Rubicon????? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:42 pm 

afhanson72 wrote:
Ok..Steve, where is the picture of the newly lifted Rubicon????? :D

I don't think it ever happened. It was all a dream...Image It must have been one of those that seemed real, because I woke up sore that's for sure. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 pm 

Hey Craig, that sounds like a good idea.
BTW, if anyone just wants to join us for part of the day instead of camping you are more than welcome.
That's right Joe, we didn't lift the Jeep all day Sat and Sun. it was just a figment of your imagination or a really bad dream. it must have been the contact high you got at the Rush concert. Or did that happen either?
You have entered the Twilight Zone. :shock:

I'll get some action pix posted when I get some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:45 pm 

Steve,
Since your Jeep has not wheeled yet with the new mods and you are on the road, let us know where the keys are and we'll be more that happy to christen it!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm 

Oh sure. That sounds like a brilliant idea. The keys are on the back wall of the bulldog's house in the back yard. While you're out there go ahead and blow all 4 tires so you can buy me some 33's. just don't bring Joe along with you Al. It'll break down for sure. No, really, I'm kidding. Don't want any body getting any goofy ideas then blaming it on the heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00 pm 

sunrunner wrote:
Oh sure. That sounds like a brilliant idea. The keys are on the back wall of the bulldog's house in the back yard. While you're out there go ahead and blow all 4 tires so you can buy me some 33's. just don't bring Joe along with you Al. It'll break down for sure. No, really, I'm kidding. Don't want any body getting any goofy ideas then blaming it on the heat.

Geez, I was just about to head out the door Image with a nice, juicy steak to distract the dog while we grab the keys. I guess I'll just go to work instead. Al, it looks as if we were Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:21 pm 

Oh well, when he gets back we'll mug him and take his keys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 pm 

I got all the trails that I think we will be going on with their tracks from prior runs that we've done in the past.

I have Chloride Cliffs in from near Hell's Gate, and out to 95 to meet up at Nevada Joe's for Saturday's run through Funeral Range and out Echo Canyon. I have the tracks around Ubehebe Crater, past Racetrack and up to Lippencott, if we take Hunter, and on the other side where we should meet back up with the old tracks through Lippencott to Panamint Springs.

Then I got tracks from 190 at Panamint Springs past Ballarat, up Goler Wash, through Mengel Pass to the West Side Drive in Death Valley and pavement home through Tecopa.

Does that sound like I have them all???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 pm 

Cool, Joe. I just posted an updated edition to the original message including what we talked about the other day. Going across Funeral Range Sat and meeting at NV Joe's at 8. I like that idea. the rest we can figure out when we get there as far as Sat night and Sun goes.
Y'all have fun now.
By the way Al, I'm planning on bring some of that Carne Asada along for dinner either Fri or Sat night as long as Craig brings the cobbler. We'll figure the rest out in a week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:14 pm 

Hey Craig, is there anything else you wanted to check out along the way? I know I'd kinda like to see Barker Ranch instead of driving by it like we did last time becasue of a certain...you know. That is, if we go through Goler Wash like we did last time.

I'm excited. It's the only thing that is keeping my spirits up. I've got a lot of work to do between now and then and it will be nice to get away for the weekend, and go wheelin' with my friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:31 pm 

I was doing a little research online about DV and I've read a few things that state that we cannot camp anywhere on the road like from racetrack on down to somewhere I cannot remember. Also, if we were to backcountry camp within the park, we must get a permit at Funrnace Creek. It's no charge, but we may want to check that out so we don't get in trouble. Also, we cannot camp out with open fires, as we all know, or at any of the many mines that are in the area that are protected. Or within 200 yards of a spring...and many other rules and regulations.