Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:09 pm 

After the Gold Butte Club Run on Saturday, Al w/Matt and Kasey, Steve, and I attempted to make our way to the east side of Virgin Peak. I found the trail and headed up it, when I came upon the first obstacle. It looked worse than it really was, but it could have turned really bad if not for the good spotting of Al. The left tires had to rub the rock wall as the right tires had to come up and over a big rock. Too far to the right and you'd find yourself flopped on the side.

We all got through that fairly easily with Al getting some serious air. The rest of the way up was a little challenging because the trail was seriously washed out. Since it followed a major wash all the way up, we were finding ourselves wondering if we should turn around. It was getting late and we were running out of sunlight so we pressed on.

We got approximately 1.9 miles away from where I had our stop mapped out just below Virgin Peak. The trail had a 5 foot rut that could not be passed. ATV's had a go around, but it was way to tight for even determined Jeepers.

We found a place to camp a short distance back in which we elected it our first backup camping spot. We turned around and went back to that spot, set up camp and had a great night, then packed up and headed back out mid morning. It was a really great way to spend the weekend.

I think I got Al talked into doing the trail report. This is just a bit of info leading into the pictures.

Enjoy...just click on the pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am 

Joe -did you take the trail from Whitney Pockets or did you come around from the front side (Mesquite)? That looks like a cool spot-how were the temps up there?
There is also a trail from the Mesquite side(Cabin Canyon Rd) that goes to a spring and has some decent Wheel'n definitly not stock friendly but really cool area.
Need to get out and do some camping but has to be in some cooler weather.
Did you guys stop at Red Bluff Springs? That place is really neat- its just off the main byway near the petroglyphs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 am 

We went through Whitney Pockets. It was a cool run and the camping was great. There was no one else around and it was soooo quite. The morning temp at 6 was 57. it was very comfortable at the 5240' elevation. Joe's a bit modest there. Three trail for him and Al was really not that challenging for the most part it was just me in my short Jeep that needed the most help. Thanks guys.
here is the link to pix from both the club run and the after run party trail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:07 pm 

Yeah, what Steve said!! We drove past Whitney Pocket to the trailhead that headed up and was supposed to go along the east side of Virgin Peak. I wish that washout had a better go around. Maybe if it was earlier in the day we could have cleared it a little better than ATV size. How much further could we have gone? Who knows. I was determined to reach the end, but mother nature had her way with the trail. :evil:

The temps were awesome. Since we were on the east side of the mountain, we got shade early and it was nice. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts for quite a while before I started to feel the coolness, but never felt hot. It never got too cold though and it was great for sleeping.

We went by Red Bluff but didn't go to the spring. I did one time Rubicon Rob and I went up that way. I agree, it is really neat up there in that area.

I'm gonna have to wait at least a few weeks or more before I can go camping again. The last two weekends were filled with fun off-road adventures with a lot of miles put on and a lot of gas used. I'm running low on funds. :twisted: I still want to plan something to Lake Mojave, take the kayaks, rent some scuba gear, and leave Friday after work and hopefully get to a great spot by dark. It's in the works, just got to find a day that at least one other person can make it.

You did great Steve. I wouldn't have gone as far as we did if I didn't think your Jeep wasn't capable. Like me in the begining, your Jeep is capable of more than you can imagine. It is actually your capabilities that are the limiting factor. In time, you will gain experience and confidence and be able to use your Jeep to its capabilities. Maybe even pushing its capabilities at times. :wink:

BTW, awesome pictures!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:12 pm 

back at ya Joe. I just looked at the run pix as well. You have some great shots in there. I saved the rock climbing ones as well as a few others.